Author Topic: Need help transitioning ...  (Read 843 times)

Offline KellyLivi

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 19, 2013, 13:42:16 pm »
I think my 5.5 LO is about ready to transition to a 4-hour EASY schedule... he's taking shorter naps and doesn't seem as ravenous for his feedings. I've read the FAQs threads with sample transition schedules... but I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around how to modify them for my particular baby/situation... Help?!!?

Here's his current schedule:

6:15/30 wep
8 nap
9:30 wep (although he usually wakes earlier)
11 nap
12:30 wep (although he usually wakes earlier)
2 nap
3:30 wep (although he usually wakes earlier)
6ish nurse then bed by 6:15/30
9ish dreamfeed

I'd like to move from 3 naps to 2 naps (hopefully at least 1.5 hours each) with NO catnap. I'd also like to KEEP his 12 hours at night (this is super important to me because he's in daycare 2x/week and doesn't nap well there). I should add that he never naps the full 1.5 hours, even at home... it's usually a total of 3-3.5 hours across all 3 naps... He'll usually take 1 or two shorter naps and then 1 longer nap... averaging out to 3.5 hours total all day.

Can someone help me figure out a schedule for transitioning? I'm guessing we'll want to shoot for naps around 8:30 and 1 (or maybe a little later to keep from needing a catnap)...

Also, I'm thinking of delaying this transition until we start solids in 2-3 weeks... good idea? I'm thinking it might help tide him over those 4-hour stretches. He's exclusively breastfed right now.

Kelly

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: Need help transitioning ...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 13:48:53 pm »
Hi Kelly, I hope I can help :)

I wouldn't look at it so black and white with regards to the length of the entire EASY cycle, but more at finding his right A times and getting good naps out of him.
I would start by increasing his A times by 10-15min every 3-4 days and if by the 4th day naps are still short then you can do another increase. The reason why we do it gradually is to prevent him from getting OT and to give him enough time to get used to every increase.
Only when your baby will be on 3h A times, which will be when he is around 6m or a bit older, you can drop the CN (because it will simply not fit in your day anymore). right now as his A times are pretty short he will not be able to cope without the CN.

Can someone help me figure out a schedule for transitioning? I'm guessing we'll want to shoot for naps around 8:30 and 1 (or maybe a little later to keep from needing a catnap)...
EASY is not a schedule, so I can't give you a precise time to put him for him nap, but you rather count A times and follow sleepy cues.

Good luck!
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/