Author Topic: Do I need to change level nipples  (Read 1997 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: January 09, 2014, 15:13:46 pm »
My baby is 27 weeks and today I gave him a bottle with a level 3 nipple. He drank the bottle in under ten minutes and it usually takes 15-20. I think it was kind of fast to drink 9 oz but sometimes during feedings he gets fussy or bride and starts to mess with bottle and taking it out of his mouth. I just assumed he was ready for the next size nipple. Any suggestions ?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Do I need to change level nipples
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 20:05:28 pm »
That sounds absolutely fine to me. My two used to drain a 9oz bottle in less than 10 mins too and at a bit younger than that. If he kept it down after then it's fine, if it wasn't ok he probably would have thrown the whole lot back up again!

Laura

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 21:39:38 pm »
But is it ok to just leave him at level 2 nipples. I think it's better to drink slower. Or is that frustrating to him lol

Offline Lolly

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 21:52:10 pm »
but sometimes during feedings he gets fussy or bride and starts to mess with bottle and taking it out of his mouth.

This ^^^ tells you he needs the faster teats! When babies get frustrated with the flow they use more energy trying to suck the milk out which means they get tired so stop before they are properly full up. This means that they don't take a full feed and are then hungry before they should be so they end up getting into a snacking cycle.

Honestly, finishing a bottle in 10 mins is fine! He's at an age now when wind shouldn't be so much of a problem as he is sitting up more - mine were pretty much self burping by now!

Laura

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 11:38:19 am »
But it's only sometimes where he messes around but always finishes bottle and never snacks. He's also self burping. Guess I'll just see how it goes. But night feeding the long bottle helps to knock him out so I'm def keeping the slower nipple befire bed

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 15:34:57 pm »
DD2 went up to level 3 nipple at that age as well :)  If he is messing about with bottles (even if it isnt all of them) it is a good sign he is ready.  I wouldnt stay with the slower nipple at night...when I tried keeping the night feed with the slower nipple dd2 just fell asleep eating and then woke hungry again in 40min.  I was hoping to just wean her night feed by using the slower nipple, but she had different ideas, lol.

Offline Lolly

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 18:36:15 pm »
I agree!

It's also worth remembering that many breastfed babies are only feeding for 10 mins ish at this age!

Laura