Author Topic: Weaning question  (Read 808 times)

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Weaning question
« on: January 12, 2014, 16:30:57 pm »
Hello,
My DS2 is 1 year and I am down to 2 feeds a day - before bed and in the morning. I am trying to wean him completely and have hit a bump in the road. He does not like milk but I know that is ok as long as he is eating other sources of calcium. My concern is he is not drinking enough fluids. He doesn't drink a lot of water. I have tried different sippy cups and he just isn't interested. Just takes little sips if I make him! He does like drinking smoothies, whole milk blended with banana, and kefir yogurt.

Today I tried dropping the morning feed and it was so hard. He cried and cried. I offered banana blended with whole milk and he drank about 4 ounces of that. I then ended up offered a breastfeed later in the morning and he was very happy :)

So.... ideas on how to get him to drink more water or fluids? Do you think I should try to drop night feed first?

Thanks!
Katie

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Weaning question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 20:41:21 pm »
Does he have fluid in a cup with meals?  Ice lollies go down well here. Cos witha highwager content like cucumber or soup are good.   You may find be only gets a thirsty for other drinks once he stops getting the breast milk. 4 ounces of smoothie sounds ok for now though.

If he is getting so upset maybe he is not ready to wean.  Do you need/want to wean quickly or would you be OK with a more gradual approach?  Have you read our faq on weaning? Weaning There are lots of strategies in there.

Is there someone else such as your partner or mum who could help distract him by getting him up and giving him his breakfast maybe? 
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011