Author Topic: Introducing a bottle or two of formula, should I be pumping?  (Read 2300 times)

Offline <Catherine>

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
Introducing a bottle or two of formula, should I be pumping?
« on: January 12, 2014, 21:22:14 pm »
So as you may well know, I had an unexpected night (well 24hrs, actually) away from DS2. He took formula in a bottle from my mum which I'm really pleased about as its been refused from us and I was hoping to get dh doing a night feed.

I fed him at 3pm yesterday and was so busy worrying about him being away from me that I didn't stop to think about my boobs....until I woke at 3.30am with them being rock hard and leaking everywhere! So I got up and pumped then, and again mid morning, and then breast fed him at 4pm today.

I'm hoping to replace his two nf's with a bottle and probably his bt feed. Dh gave him a bottle at bt tonight to see how he'd take it and we had huge success. So should I be pumping at all? Or only if I get uncomfortable like last night?
Catherine x

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Introducing a bottle or two of formula, should I be pumping?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 21:28:03 pm »
If it is a feed you would usually be doing then you should pump for it, but if you are dropping the feed, then no, only for comfort. I always pumped for a few days 'just in case' when I did similar with Jacob at 7 mths.

Hope that makes sense!

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 21:38:40 pm »
Yes, that makes sense :) I should probably have pumped this evening as I'm not yet sure if we're dropping the bt feed but I'm in bed now with a headache and can't face it tbh. I suspect I'll need to pump during the night now though if last night was anything to go by!
Catherine x

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 22:37:39 pm »
I can't pump worth a darn except for first in the a.m. so when E dropped her nf's I just hand expressed a bit for comfort until my boobs finally got the message that they werent needed at night!
Heidi

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 22:54:42 pm »
I had to pump in the night for a while with DS (little monster fed every 2-3 hrs from me, but instantly slept 7-4 once he was on a bottle  ::)).

With DD it was faster. I was dropping the whole lot though and I really did just pump to avoid leaks and pain. I seem to remember the last pump being about 10days after stopping completely.

One missed pump won't matter, just like a missed feed wouldn't  :-* :-*

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 00:29:35 am »
I haven't been able to pump at all until last night and that was 12 hours after he last fed and then again about 7 hours later, boobs were very engorged, and I would normally have fed 3 or 4 times within that time.

I don't know that I could have pumped this evening I suppose as I wasn't at all engorged at that point.

He's had another bottle and a long nw'ing  ::)  I have a feeling I'm going to wake up uncomfortable and leaking in a few hours so will pump then if I do, but will probably breast feed ds if he wakes for another feed and I haven't yet pumped.
Catherine x

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 20:07:59 pm »
How did it end up Catherine??

Both my kids were rather windy when they first started bottle feeds. BFing is harder work, so they used to guzzle a bit and end up full of air  ::). Slower teats didn't help either as they were used to fast milk from me, it was just those different mechanics of feeding.

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 20:18:24 pm »
Not a good night so he woke for another feed at 4am so I bf him then which was fine and meant I didn't need to pump.

We did the bt feed by bottle again tonight and will do first nf by bottle again too.

I gave him the bottle for the first time tonight and I just cried all the way through it! He wasn't bothered that he wasn't having a boobie from me :(
Catherine x

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 20:25:47 pm »
Aww...E would not take a bottle from me at first but now she couldn't care less! Silly babies!
Heidi

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 20:28:15 pm »
The BFing hormones are so strong. It's hard  :-\ :-*. Even after I decided to finish feeding Jacob I would sometimes BF 'just to see'. With Megan it was different due to the circumstances I was quitting in, but that time I cried whenever I saw her suck her bottle nicely  ::) ::). I was just so pleased that she liked it!!

And she did - I think she grew to love that bottle more than me!!

And both times I felt so much better in myself (calmer, more rational, more myself) once I wasn't up feeding all night long. In retrospect, I pushed myself far too far with it all.

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 20:33:34 pm »
Yeah it was nice to lie in bed whilst dh went and fed him last night, even if I did then end up trying to get him to sleep for the next hour!
Catherine x

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 20:53:55 pm »
It's hard. Sometimes you are so desperate for them to take that bottle but also you don't really want them to either. I feel the same. Small steps being made here with G. C would never take a bottle from me so I hope G will eventually learn to.

Hugs xxx

*Nicola*

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 21:37:57 pm »
DH and DD worked out an acceptable form of 'daddy can settle Megan to sleep' after a couple of weeks. Something that Mummy had to wean for him later  ::) ::) ::). Def helped DH bond with her as well. Her never really fed DS even after I stopped BFing. My Mum used to love it as well. Soppy lot  ::) :P.

Hopefully G will take a bottle from you too Nicola. It is nice to see their little faces when they feed and go all sleepy  :).

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 22:14:41 pm »
Just because careful you don't get blocked ducts if you are several dropping feeds quickly and getting engorged.

Hugs.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 00:13:36 am »
I seem to have only got engorged that first night, which wasnt surprising as I didn't feed in such a long time. The second night I wasn't really engorged at all by the time he took his second nf from me.
Catherine x