Author Topic: Day 2 of EASY and E is all over the place  (Read 1787 times)

Offline larren

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Day 2 of EASY and E is all over the place
« on: January 14, 2014, 04:48:28 am »
Hi mamas! I have a thread going on the naps board but I figured I could get specified help here :)

DD is 3.5 month old, angel/textbook, EBF. I started EASY yesterday and so far, her E has absolutely no routine. I was suggested to top off before I put her down for nap (bc BF babies don't usually make it too long without a feed) but I'm finding she's not hungry enough after nap which causes her to either, nurse a little bit, or not at all. She has gotten hungry in the middle of her A time, which I do feed her, but idk how to fix her routine and get her to nurse substantially after S. Please help! TIA :)

Offline Saskmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Day 2 of EASY and E is all over the place
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 04:54:45 am »
I would try to skip the top off before nap time and see how it works. Nusing would go much better afterwards. It will also help get off the nursing dependancy to fall asleep, which helps a lot later on!

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 00:50:10 am »
At 3.5 months your LO should be ok to make it between one E to the next.  I'm assuming she's on a three hour EASY?  If you remove the top ups, I'm willing to bet she'll eat better at the next E and happily play through A-time.  Good luck!!  ;D

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 01:56:31 am »
I agree with not doing the top up to see if she feeds better after a nap...most ebf babies can do the 3 h routine, not all make it to 4 h at 4 months though...we have a 4.5/5 h routine of EAEAS because of high A times, I think that is the main reason to do a top up and DD3 guzzles at all her feeds so no issues yet.
Heidi

Offline larren

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 04:46:38 am »
Thanks for the responses, ladies! Am I wrong to worry that her naps will be cut short due to hunger? Her naps are still wonky but that's a different issue, I guess.

Right now, her A time is pretty much me trying to get her to E so that's she's not hungry during S. I try to nurse her frequently bc she doesn't take much at each feeding..she's already only feeding one side at a time

Her EASY today (copied from my naps thread  :-\)
E 645
WU 813
A 813-928
E 909
S 928-1147
   - 1023-1040 shh/rock
A 1147-138
E 1233
E 112
E 133
S 138-235
   - 235-305 shh/rock I had to stop to get DS from his nap
A 235-434
E 423
S 434-520
   - 530-600 shh/rock
E 542
E 714
BT 724
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 22:43:52 pm by larren »

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 01:00:29 am »
My older two only ever did single side feeds....DD1 nursed in 5-10 min from the start so it is entirely possible she is done after one side. The older they get they way more efficient they get as well! Is she giving signs she wants to nurse during A time?
Heidi

Offline larren

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 04:48:03 am »
DD is the same way; 5-10 min and she's done (when she's nursing well..other times she's fussy and "snacks", if that!). She sometimes shows signs of wanting to nurse during A time, which of course i do feed her. I'm just concerned that she might shorten her naps because she's hungry. Her naps are a mess right now and I'm being advised to lengthen her A time to 2 hrs so I'm really on edge about how she'll do for such a long time without E.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 07:49:11 am »
What I started doing as DD3 started increasing her A time was to offer one top up feed part way through A time but far enough from naptime so we didnt create an association.
Heidi

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 01:31:20 am »
I haven't had any problems with DS waking early from naps due to hunger.  I think you'll find that your LO will be ok for those three hours.  As PP mentioned, once your at longer A times (4/5 hrs) she might need a top up but for three hours she's probably just fine :)

Offline larren

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 04:46:33 am »
Thanks for the assurance, ladies :) I'm high-strung, type A personality, kinda person so the inconsistency that comes with having a baby is difficult for me LOL. I guess I'll take a step back and try not to worry too much about her naps being wonky..it's come to the point where I pressure her to top off before nap haha gotta learn to roll with the punches!