Author Topic: Preemies and nipple shields  (Read 1132 times)

Offline bethann

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 40
Preemies and nipple shields
« on: January 14, 2014, 23:03:10 pm »
My dd Anna was born at 33 wks, and was initially put on a feeding tube.  She learned how to bottle feed after about 2 wks.  At the Special Care Nursery, they had me breastfeed- but she would only latch with the nipple shield.  They said she would outgrow that very quickly and I would soon be able to nurse exclusively- not so. Since then she has been nearly all bottle fed (pumped breastmilk), with a couple of breastfeeds with the shield in place.  She does not latch without it no matter how hard I try.  And I have tried every day.  I even tried the Supplemental nursing system- no latch at all.  and then she wouldn't even take the nipple shield.  so just no nursing, period.  And I had nursed my other two kids for a while.  I love nursing. 

Baby is now 6 wks, and just yesterday I finally got her to nurse all day without any bottle- using the shield. 

Anyone else nurse with a nipple shield?  Anyone else have any success stories for getting off the thing and actually latching properly?  It is such a pain, but so much better than pumping and bottles. 
{mom to abigail 3.13.16, caleb 4.14.07, and anna noelle 12.04.13}

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Preemies and nipple shields
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 08:19:01 am »
Bumping for you.

I only used a nipple sheild for a few weeks for sore nipples in the early days.  I did get off them though. I know a couple mums on here so used them for months with great success so it is possible even if you can't get off them.

Have you tried starting off with the sheild and then taking it off halfway through in case lo doesn't notice?  Do you think she would latch on without it if you caught her still half asleep?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline bethann

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 16:04:51 pm »
thanks, Ali-  If I take it off halfway through the feed, she won't re-latch at all and doesn't finish the feed.  It is rather frustrating. 

And she won't latch at all without it- even screams at the sight of it.  lol.  But it is much better than having to pump and bottle feed, which is what I did for 6 wks straight.  And I have been trying to get her to latch since her birth, but being so early and so small, she was not able. The nurses gave me the nipple shield, and I used it since it was my only opportunity to breastfeed her at all (and they only let me have one breastfeed a day- so keep her from burning too many calories).

so- this is my dilemma.  I would just like to know if there is any hope for her to someday soon be off the shield. 

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 07:46:44 am »
Can you get some IRL help from a lactation consultant?

I found this old thread on a similar topic which may have some good ideas for you to try. Re: Nipple Shield Weaning Success Stories?

I notice one mama on there says she expressed until let down and then offered the breast.  Might that be worth a try?

Offline bethann

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 14:33:47 pm »
So baby must have been reading my posts, because she latched on last night and took a full feed, both sides.  *phew.  so there is hope!  Still had to use the shield in the middle of the night feed, cause she was too tired to remember that she could latch without.  And this morning she latched again without- only the latch was terrible, so I'm trying to figure out where she's not latched correctly- I think it's her tongue or something because my nipple is flat as a pancake when she releases. 

I am in touch with a lactation consultant- haven't had her come to the house yet, but I will if I can't get this sorted out. 

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 14:36:38 pm »
That is great that she latched on without. Maybe keep trying for every feed and revert to shields if she isn't taking it!

Offline bethann

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 19:14:54 pm »
she is going back and forth and is pretty inconsistent - sometimes has great latch, sometimes horrendous latch, sometimes shield, sometimes not.  hmm.  I'm just going to have to wing this and work with her until we master it!  thinking it'll take a while though.  ;)

thanks for the help.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 19:23:32 pm »
Good on you for persevering :) you are giving your lo a great start.