Author Topic: 28 week old starting to leave some formula in bottle  (Read 2699 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
28 week old starting to leave some formula in bottle
« on: January 18, 2014, 12:06:30 pm »
My lo started solids about 2.5 weeks ago just about 4 tbsp once a day but he's just started a few days ago leaving about 2-3 oz in bottle without finishing. Which he never does. I've tried to change the level nipple to a faster flow which he hates and won't drink. This is a baby who always finishes 9 oz at every feeding. Does it have sonething to do with the solids which would make sense but why now and not when we started solids?

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: 28 week old starting to leave some formula in bottle
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 12:13:39 pm »
It could be solids, but could also just be that he's getting ready to adjust his routine again and drop one of the feeds. What's your routine in terms of timings now?
~ Naomi ~

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 15:18:07 pm »
He has four 9 oz bottles he will usually drink an average of 34 oz in 24 hrs. He has a bottle at 7, 11, 3, 630. Solids usually befire his bottle at 11 am.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 15:34:38 pm »
He takes the first and last bottle fine it's more just the 11 and 3 bottle that he doesn't finish.

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 19:37:29 pm »
In which case four bottles is about right for this age. I would try offering his 11am bottle before solids and see if that helps. Food before one is just for fun after all :)
~ Naomi ~

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 20:36:34 pm »
He is getting plenty so an odd oz less here and there isn't too much of a problem BUT I would make sure that the 11am bottle is before solids like PP suggested. 4 tablespoons (is that right or did you mean teaspoons?) is actually quite a large meal for just starting solids.

Laura

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 02:33:14 am »
I started solids first day of January so it's been a few weeks. Yes 4 tbsp once a day and he's been taking thT bottle afterward ok msybe an oz or two less. It's the 3 pm bottle that he's not interested in. How do you know when to drop a bottle ? He's also gotten a diaper rash this week which I think is possibly from the new consistency of his poop? And I've also just tried 2 days of brown rice cereal and he seems get gassy from it.

Offline Lolly

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 08:08:11 am »
I think he's not interested in the 3pm bottle because of the amount he's had at the previous feed. You need to keep all bottles until he is about 9/10 months, that's when bottle fed babies drop to 3 bottles.

I think he would pick up on the 3 pm bottle if you do milk before solids and swap back to ordinary rice cereal, or better yet offer fruits/ veggies instead. I think someone posted on your thread about the brown rice to say that it's not recommended for babies because of the issues you are finding, it's too filling and it's hard to digest so gives them issues like gas, it's healthy for adults but not babies and toddlers. You don't need to start with rice at all, there is enough iron in the formula so starting with fruits/ veg is a better option. Rice cereal is very constipating and bland, veg etc offers better flavour for him!

So, I would

1. Offer the 11 am milk feed first (this also gives better spacing of milk feeds that doing solids first).
2. Offer a smaller portion of food about 30mins/ 1 hour after the milk feed (4 tablespoons is a very large portion for his age, that amount would be a total over the whole day for most babies of 7/8 months really). You can offer a sippy with a small amount of water with food too.
3. Offer the next feed as normal

He needs the fat, calories and nutrients from the milk much more than he needs solids - early solids will not keep him growing well or help to sleep through the night. Remember that food until 1 is just for fun and it's about tastes and textures and exploring. It needs to be a supplement to his normal milk intake which will gradually reduce as he gets closer to 1 as solids gradually increase.

Laura

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 14:57:34 pm »
Just to confirm he's only having one meal of solids and 4 bottles. So should I still cut back the amount of food? I'm def going back to his oatmeal. How much food would you say? He actually seemed to take the 11 am bottle better after the solids but it's the 3 pm bottle he struggles with more.

Offline Lolly

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 15:09:35 pm »
He's probably thirsty from the food which is why he's taking the bottle well after it but then it's filling him up too much for the next bottle.

4 bottles at this age is just right and you don't drop a bottle until he is older.

I would offer about half of what you have been giving about an hour after the 11am bottle with a sippy of water.

Laura

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 16:37:11 pm »
And you don't think that will effect his appetite for the next bottle ? I'll give it a try. When do I increase the amount and frequency of solids?

Offline Lolly

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 16:57:48 pm »
And you don't think that will effect his appetite for the next bottle ?

It shouldn't do, he will be full from his milk feed so he won't take so much solids as he has been.

You can add in another feed when you are ready too. I would do breakfast next about an hour after his first bottle, let him adjust to those 2 meals and then add a third later in the day.

Finger foods are also good to introduce at this age along with puree (if you are going the puree way).

Laura

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 17:29:47 pm »
Ok. And do I have to give cereal fruit and veggies at both meals?
Just puréed for now.

Offline Lolly

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 18:24:31 pm »
Ok. And do I have to give cereal fruit and veggies at both meals?
Just puréed for now.

You don't *have* to do anything! Cereal isn't necessary at all, you can just give fruits/ veggies/ proteins. Once they are past 6 months they can have pretty much anything apart from salt/ sugar and whole nuts (check with your area recs though) and it is better to give finger foods along side as they need it for oral development.

At this age my DD was having fruits/ veg mushed (not a thin puree) and finger foods and she coped just fine. The finger foods I gave when she was sitting with us at our evening meal as she wasn't eating much but it was a good social experience. She then moved onto having things like toast fingers for breakfast with cereal and then finger sandwiches for lunch by 8 months.

Laura