Author Topic: significant drop in daily OZ  (Read 1999 times)

Offline julz222

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 26, 2014, 17:54:35 pm »
Hello
We have had a few changes recently, mainly drop from 3 to 2 naps, intro of solids and a cold. Prior to the change, he was drinking 8-9 ounces 4 times a day no problem, then sleeping through the night. Over past 4 days however, he has been drinking 3-4 ounces then pushing bottle away and refusing it, consuming about 12-16 ounces during day. Then will wake twice at night demanding food and drink 8-12 ounces. I understand the solids might be making him too full to eat during the day, but why then eating so much at night?

Here is our EASY:
7am wake +bottle
8:30 solids
9:30nap-11/11:30 then bottle
12:30 solids
2pm nap-4pm then bottle
6pm bottle
6:15 sleep

I have tried offering the bottle again both half an hour, and an hour after his usual feed and he continues to adamantly refuse. Any suggestions?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: significant drop in daily OZ
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 21:39:46 pm »
I understand the solids might be making him too full to eat during the day, but why then eating so much at night?

He is eating more in the night because he isn't getting enough milk during the day - milk needs to be the main source of nutrition until they are 1 because it has more calories/ fats/ nutrients than the early solids. The danger is too that he isn't taking so much milk in the day because he is taking more at night!

How much solids are you giving at each meal? What flow teat is he on now - is it the fastest one? If not try changing the teat. I would also cut right back on solids for a few days to get the milk during the day back to where it was and then gradually add more solids in again.

Laura

Offline julz222

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 23:46:56 pm »
I am only giving him maybe a tablespoon - two tops during meals (currently breakfast and lunch). Am surprised such a little amount can affect his fluid intake so much! Worried about getting up to 3 meals a day!

He is on a number 2 teat. Do you think he loses interest in the bottle and that is why he begins to refuse it after 3-4 ounces?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: significant drop in daily OZ
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 02:58:43 am »
How old is he?