Author Topic: 4 month old has very restless sleep  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Picker blocker

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 30, 2014, 14:00:55 pm »
What could be causing my daughter to sleep so restlessly?  She is 4 months old and up until a few weeks ago, she was sleeping relatively well (10 til 5 or 6).  However, she stirs a lot as she is falling asleep and also during the night.  She starts stirring with her head going from side to side and if the paci is in her mouth, she rips it out, she grabs her head and ends up pulling her hat down over her eyes.  I don't think it has to do with her needing to soothe herself back to sleep because it happens when she is by herself in the crib but also if I go in and try to soothe her, hold her hand, or even if I pick her up and hold her.  She is trying to sleep though, because she falls alseep for a few minutes before something wakes her.   Sometimes she is in and out of sleep for 20-30 min and then she falls into a peaceful sleep, other times after 30 min she wakes up fully and wants to eat....even though I'm pretty sure she's not hungry.  Sometimes I wonder if she has a burp but I've tried picking her up and it doesn't help.  I've tried picking her up and changing her diaper (which is usually wet) and that also just wakes her up and then she wants to eat. She is napping well, so I don't think she is overtired.  What could be causing this???

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 76
Re: 4 month old has very restless sleep
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 14:44:02 pm »
We're having a similar problem.  She's been unsettled in the early part of the night and crying out every few minutes while falling asleep. And yesterday - she started rolling over and creeping around in her cot so I've put it down to that. Is your dd doing anything new like that? 

Offline Picker blocker

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 16:10:07 pm »
No, nothing new.  She doesn't roll yet. It is just her head that she moves side to side as she moans or sighs heavily.  Sometimes if I give her he paci or hold her and she will calm down and fall asleep ( just to start again a few min later) and sometimes what I do doesn't even help.  But if I leave her, she gets louder and louder and will cry out.  It's weird that she can have a 3 hour nap no problem though (she usually has a 2-3 hr nap once a day, and 2 or3 shorter naps (40 min).

Offline snowy82

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 18:26:00 pm »
my DD turns 4 months next week and while she's never been a great sleeper, the last few nights have been torture.  we have no problem putting her down at bedtime but then she moves and tosses and turns that she wakes herself up three hours later.  i wouldn't care if we could easily put her back down for the rest of the night, but instead she wakes every 1.5 hours! 

anyone able to help figure out what we should do?

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 76
Re: 4 month old has very restless sleep
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 18:28:27 pm »
Do you think she could be hungry?  There's a massive growth spurt around this age. Or if you'd like to create your own post with some more info we might be able to suggest something else xx