Author Topic: 6.5 mo drinking every 3 hours  (Read 2724 times)

Offline MariaG80

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 01, 2014, 18:20:15 pm »
Hi,

My 6.5 month old used to drink about 6 oz every 4 hours and solids 3 times a day. About 2 weeks ago, she started getting hungry at the 3.5 hour mark with the same amount of solids and now for the past week she can't even last 3 hours she starts to cry hysterically for milk same thing with her solids, when she sees her bowl she goes bananas.
I would give her more in her bottles but she's barely drinking 5 oz now, always leaves an oz in the bottle. She doesn't feed at night, sleeps from 6 to 6 so I would figure when she wakes up she would finish her bottle but she stops at 4.5/5 oz.
Could this just be a GS?
Should I wait in the morning to feed her so she can be hungry and drink more?
Or should I reduce her solids so she can take more milk?

This was her intake yesterday:

6:00 wake and feed  (little under 5 oz)

7:15 solids (1 tbsp cereal+ 1 tbsp fruit)

9:00 feed (little under 5 oz)

12:00 feed ( about 5oz)

1:00 Solids ( 1 tbsp meat + 1 tbsp veggie)

3:00 Feed (about 6oz)

5:00 solids ( 1 tbsp cereal + 1 tbsp fruit)

6:00 Feed ( 5oz) and bed.

Normally when she was on 4 hours, she would only have 4 bottles. And all the food amounts and when to give what was suggested by my pediatrician.

Any ideas ?

Thank you

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 6.5 mo drinking every 3 hours
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 18:49:15 pm »
I would cut back on solids for a little while to get her milk back up to previous levels. It could be she has had a bit of a growth spurt but has started snacking a bit as a result. I would get as much in her as possible for the first feed of the day and then stretch her as far as you can for the next bottle, she should take more, then keep the same gap (or longer if you can) for the next bottle. If you keep stretching her a bit more and a bit more for a few days you should be able to get her back to 4 hourly feeds and bigger feeds.

What flow teat is she on? If she's not on the fastest I would try that too.

Laura

Offline MariaG80

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 19:18:52 pm »
Thank you Lolly for the reply.

I just changed her nipple flow right around when she started drinking less milk thinking that might be it, but it didn't change anything.And as for her morning bottle I do try to give her as much as I can, I've even tried waiting 20 minutes and giving it again but she refuses.

I will try cutting back on solids for a bit, like you suggested, see if that increases her milk.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 6.5 mo drinking every 3 hours
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 20:24:43 pm »
Let us know how you get on!

Laura

Offline MariaG80

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 23:30:18 pm »
Thanks for checking in Laura :)

I reduced her solids a little and with a lot of distracting, we're at 3h40m between feedings today ( and a back to her normal milk intake as well).
She does seem to want more solids though and that's where I get confused...but I know milk should be her main source right now so I'll keep it like this for a few more days and then increase them again later.

Maria