Author Topic: Mashed potatoes anyone?  (Read 1871 times)

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 03, 2014, 23:29:46 pm »
My 15mo will eat anything we give him (lucky, I know!) but I find myself sometimes trying to give him something other than what DH and I are eating because it is just too messy... So I'm looking for ways to take normally messy foods and make them neater... Don't get me wrong, I know kids will get messy but his skin gets so dry from rinsing him after every meal that I just can't stand it! So, today were working with mashed potatoes and meatloaf, but he just picks up the potatoes and mushed it in his fingers. He is still learning to use a fork so a more "solid" mashed potato would help with that too. I've seen recipes for mashed potato balls but they're all fried. Yuck. Any ideas Mommas?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Mashed potatoes anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 00:39:53 am »
Personally I would ge a really good moisturizer for his hands and let him go to town on the food.
Heidi

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 19:04:47 pm »
Not quite what you are asking for but mine won't eat mashed potato, ever. When I make mash I boil the pots lift out a couple for DS to have as boiled pots and mash the rest for DP and I, easier to stab with a fork (either by you or LO) that way.  However I do time to time try to offer a mash ball, I just take a sort of heaped teaspoon of mash and roll it in my hands like soft play doh, I make 2 or 3 and serve them that way.  yes they can still be mushed in the hands if LO wants to do that (so can anything) but it does offer a very clean way of picking up as a finger food (only tips of fingers get dirty) or stabbing with a fork as each piece is already fully formed and doesn't need scooping the way you would with a dollop of mash.  If your LO is not so keen on using the fork you can pre load by stabbing it then lay the fork down for him to pick up.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 19:14:48 pm »
How about baked potato wedges? They're not so easy to mash.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 03:04:00 am »
Thank you for the suggestions! The wedges may be a great option as I usually bake the potatoes and use the leftovers as mash the next day so I could always bake him some wedges and just make extra for the next day. :)

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 03:07:53 am »
Thank you for the suggestions! The wedges may be a great option as I usually bake the potatoes and use the leftovers as mash the next day so I could always bake him some wedges and just make extra for the next day. :)