Author Topic: wakes every night at random and hard to put back down  (Read 755 times)

Offline emilykstew

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
wakes every night at random and hard to put back down
« on: February 05, 2014, 23:26:04 pm »
It's been a while since I've been on here!  I guess that's a good sign.  My second child is a nearly 7 month old son.  He was on the colicky side as a young one, but is now mostly a happy baby, though quite sensitive.  I'm having problems with his nights. 

His day looks more or less like this:
7am- wake
7:30- BF (he doesn't like to eat right away)
8:30- cereal/fruit puree
9:30/10-11ish nap- unswaddled, puts self to sleep in 2-5 min of light fussing
11:30/12- BF (again, doesn't like to eat right away)
1- sometimes eats solids, sometimes not
2-3:30ish nap
4- BF
6- solids- veg
7/7:30- BF to sleep (swaddled with one arm out usually right now)

I tried to do DF's forever, but he either woke too much, or refused to eat (unlike my daughter who DF'ed like a dream!)  So I usually would feed him sometime in the night when he woke- usually around 2 or 3am.  He's had a handful of sleeping through the nights and since he's been on solids I've been trying to not feed him when he wakes.  However, I've been trying not to feed him when he wakes for nearly a month and he just still wakes up and can't put himself back to sleep.  His waking is random too, anywhere between 1am-4am.  We usually let him try to self soothe, sometimes up to 20 min, until he cries hard for several minutes, and then my husband or I will go in.  Sometimes all it takes is a shh/pat, sometimes just a re-swaddle and he's out, pu/pd doesn't work because he usually just screams when picked up and then if we rock him till he's quiet, he's usually also asleep (which I know hinders his ability to self-soothe), and sometimes he just seems wide awake.  If I am just exhausted and feed him back to sleep, then he won't feed in the morning at all, which then throws off the day, so 99% of the time, I know it's not hunger.  I feel like according to what we've been doing, and that he goes down easily for naps most of the time, he shouldn't be waking anymore!  Sigh.  Am I doing something wrong?  I know we're in the process of unswaddling him, so that could be causing the problem, but it seems like whether he's swaddled or not, he still wakes.  I have thought about doing the 'wake to sleep' thing, but it's not like he wakes at the same time every night...

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: wakes every night at random and hard to put back down
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 03:26:04 am »
Does he settle after you feed him? I wonder if maybe he really is hungry... I know you mentioned he's had a few sttn but to be honest, mine did too and started to from 4 months but then would wake again (it was random times) and she's only consistently started sleeping right through the night around 9 months (for about a month now). Even though she's slept through some nights, wouldn't mean she would would do it all the time and I would feed her and she'd go back to sleep. In the morning, I would do a top up feed (one side only) and we would start our 4hr feeds from there (approx).

Also, I wonder if maybe you should cut down to 2 solid feeds and not offer dinner. We only started dinner about a month ago too and you could try a cluster BF at 6pm and do a final feed right before bedtime?

20/06/2012 - my angel baby