Author Topic: 4 mos old not following growth curve, worried sick  (Read 4410 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 4 mos old not following growth curve, worried sick
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 08:56:02 am »
I'm glad she has put your mind at rest.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline shannoncorrin

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 18:10:32 pm »
I completely know what you are going thru- I just posted almost the same question yesterday!  I started to supplement with formula.  My doctor TOTALLY freaked me out as well.  My LO was8 lbs 2 oz at birth , 11lb 4oz at 2 mo and then only 12lbs 5 oz at 4 mo. 

I thought I was happy with this decision to give formula, but now I'm not so sure.  I just don't want it to affect my supply.  I have been giving him more in his bottle on days that gets bottles.  He is such a hard guy to read.  He's laid back so it's hard for me to tell if he is still hunge or full or what!  I'm having a difficult time with my motherly instinct i guess! 

Anyway,  I just wanted to tell you that I'm right there with you! 

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 19:23:56 pm »
Glad that the LC put your mind at rest, and I hope you can relax now and not worry.

Offline natashalil

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 13:14:51 pm »
ok so now i have increased the number of daytime feeds and introduced solids (on family dr recommendation, since DS is showing interest in food), and he is getting up at night like he hasnt in months!!!  For two nights he woke up at 9:30, 12:30 and 4:30 (bedtime is 7:30), and last night he woke up at 10:30, 12:30, 2, 3, 4,5 ?!??!?!

Does feeding more often in the day make them wake up more often at night looking for food?

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 13:19:18 pm »
If you are feeding too often during the day he might not be hungry enough to take a full feed and then he will end up hungry sooner which might in turn lead to him waking up at night looking for food. He does seem a bit young for solids - they will not fill him up as effectively as milk, so don't rush it. At this stage I would have thought that just giving him something to hold and suck on for interest is as far as you should go - how much have you given him in the way of solids?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 13:24:02 pm »
What and how much food did you start him on? Tbh showing an interest in food would not be enough to get me to start solids that early - DD3 has been eyeing up our food and drinks for ages but she only learned to sit up and lost her tongue thrust a few weeks ago.
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 13:48:52 pm »
It could be that the solids are causing digestive discomfort or they are displacing the milk feeds by filling him up with calorie deficient food which is then meaning he doesn't have room for the more calorie dense milk in his tummy. So he may be waking at night to make up the lost calories.

Unfortunately some doctors do give outdated info on starting solids but it is now known that babies' digestive systems are generally not mature enough to handle solids until around 6mo. Showing interest in food is no reason to give it IMO. Babies who do that early still have immature digestive systems regardless. I imagine he is showing interest in many things like phones and toys to hold and put in his mouth but that doesn't mean he should be allowed to eat them, yk?

The World Health Organisation alongside UNICEF have developed guidelines for introducing solids based on extensive research and they recommend babies wait to start solids until they can sit unaided and hold their head steady, have the hand eye coordination to pick up and put food in their mouths themselves and also to swallow food rather than push it back out with their tongue. All three of these criteria should be met before starting solids and it is rare for them to appear together much before 6mo.
http://www.unicef.org.uk/Documents/Baby_Friendly/Leaflets/3/introducing-solid-foods.pdf

It is also recommended to start with one meal a day and build up gradually to two meals before adding a third meal between 8-9mo.

Offline natashalil

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 14:43:37 pm »
I started w rice cereal at breakfast just a few teaspoons not much is actually making it in

Offline natashalil

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 15:05:33 pm »
I'm really confused now both the lc and my family Dr said it was OK should I back off? I think they told me it was ok with the hopes it would help his wright gain

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 17:11:23 pm »
Not sure where you are in the world but here they definitely do not recommend solids before 6 months and they don't even recommend starting with cereal anymore - meats and meat alternates are supposed to be first foods for iron. Up until one year old bm or formula needs to be the basis of their nutrition - solid food is about new textures/tastes and fun!
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2014, 20:27:21 pm »
I would do your own research and make up your own mind rather than just follow what your dr says. So surprised a LC would recommend rice cereal tbh. Do you think it is causing constipation btw?

Can you have a chat with your dr and say you have done the research and are wondering why he is advising you to go against the WHO and UNICEF guidelines?

Offline natashalil

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 15:02:26 pm »
OK i have stopped the solids, no solids the past two days, but DS is still waking up every 1-3 hours at night. Some of those wakings he is taking in a good feed, some of those he feeds a little then falls right asleep (but then wakes up when i put him in the crib, then wakes and we need to do pupd).  Last night I got so exhausted that I put him in bed with me around 3-4am I cant remember which.

I really need some help, here was the EASY I was trying to follow, I have been throwing in more feeds willy nilly I need to know where I should put them so as not to disrupt night time sleep!

E - 7am
A - 7:30
S - 9  (usually a short nap, 30-45 min)
A - till next feed
E - 10:30
A - 11
S - 12:30 (this nap can be 1-2 hrs)
a till next E, if nap is short
E -2:00
A - 2:30
S - 4 (catnap, sometimes)
E - 5 (to tank up)
A till bed time routine starts at 6:30 (bath, massage, pjs, feed, then bed at 7:30)

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 18:52:01 pm »
Do you think it could be the 4 month growth spurt? DD3 just came through the six month one and fed like a newborn for a couple of days. Your middle A time seems a bit long...if you thinknit is down to routine (the 4 month gs often brings sleep challenges!) it is probably a good idea to start a post in the EASY forum for help!
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 22:16:37 pm »
I'd bring that second nap much earlier like 11.00 or 11.30 at the latest. The NWs could be caused by OT.