Author Topic: 4 mos old not following growth curve, worried sick  (Read 4405 times)

Offline natashalil

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 mos old not following growth curve, worried sick
« on: February 18, 2014, 23:28:56 pm »
hi everyone

went for my ds 4 mos appointment today. he weighed in at 12lbs 10oz, which is in the 5th percentile.

Here are his weights over time -

born - 7 lbs 13oz (50th percentile, was a c-section baby)
1 mos - 8lbs 12 oz
2 mos - 10lbs 14oz
3 mos - 12 lbs 1oz
4 mos - 12lbs 10oz

I have been breastfeeding him exclusively since about 3 weeks in, had some supply issues at first and was pumping and taking motilium. Weaned off the motilium over christmas slowly, didnt notice a difference in supply.

I feed DS at 7am, 10:30, 2:00, 5:00, 7:00, and when he wakes up at night, sometimes once more at 3-4am, sometimes he wakes up twice. So he is being fed 6-7 times a day. The nurses told me that isnt enough and I should feed him 8 times a day, and that he shouldnt be sleeping 7-8 hours at night when he is that little.

We started sleep training around the 3 month mark for night time sleep, 3.5 month for nap sleeps too. Is it possible he is crying too much and burning up all his calories? How much crying is too much for 4 months old?  Should I feed him more often, or wake him to feed?

Please help  :(

Offline natashalil

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 4 mos old not following growth curve, worried sick
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 23:34:34 pm »
Also how do I not fall back to AP? I feel like I dont want him to cry at all now so he can gain weight. He still puts up a fuss at night time (last night was 30min of p/u p/d, i think we are in a sleep regression because it use to be 5 min of fussing and he would put him to sleep).

Same question on naps, sometimes he falls asleep after 3 mins of fussing, other times it takes longer?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 01:48:41 am »
Do you know if they are using charts meant for bf babies? It is actually quite normal for an ebf baby to gain weight fast at first and then slow down - also they tend to take after their parents (my DD3 is around 5-10th centile but dh and I are small!). She actually was sleeping long stretches at night until she hit the 4 months growth spurt.  Two of my three were able to do long stretches quite young.

Also pu/pd can be too stimulating for some babies...have you tried shh/pat? At 4 months old he could be going through a growth spurt and also need a routine tweak as he may be ready for more A time.

Heidi

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 03:25:45 am »
Also, did you receive any fluids during labor?  Birth weight is sometimes artificially inflated because of that.  Is your baby soaking enough diapers during the day?  That's honestly the best indication of supply.  I'd say that at 4 months old, all of mine had 4-5 day feeds (depending on where we were on the 4 hour transition), a dream feed, and either no night feeds (dd1), one night feed (dd2), or two night feeds (ds). 

There is some good information here: Slow weight gain in breastfed babies that may help.

Offline natashalil

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 04:58:45 am »
he has a dirty diaper after every feed, and it is wet too, and maybe 1 or 2 additional diapers that are just wet. So i guess by that standard it is ok? Going to go to a lactation consultant in a couple of days, see if there is something wrong with my supply.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 05:52:48 am »
Heidi

Offline C_mother

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 06:33:33 am »
Can you weigh him over the next few weeks? He may have his 4 mth growth spurt a bit late. I think it is actually fairly common to move around the curves a bit, especially if you are only weighing in every couple of months :)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 09:14:59 am »
Can you put him to the breast again an hour after his usual feeds to get some more calories in him?
What about doing a DF before you go to bed?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 12:33:14 pm »
If it makes you feel better, DD was born in the 50th centile and dropped significantly in mo 3-4.
Drs freaked me out too but when I looked things up online it turned out they had not been checking her on the BF charts and she was in fact on the 15th. Even so, she dropped a lot but has since then hovered around the 15th-20th.
I finally stopped worrying. She had plenty of wet nappies, met her milestones and not matter how hard I tried she wouldn't feed more, so I guess she just wasn't hungry.

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 21:29:43 pm »
HUGS!  This is super stressful and I know from experience. 
My DS was in the 50th percentile for weight at 2 months but had dropped to 5th by 4 months.  The doctor had us come in every two weeks for weigh-ins, which was a nuisance but I understand why.  I was super stressed too and I hopped on here and found that lots of babies go through this.  Even my doctor acknowledged that the growth/weight charts aren't completely accurate because they're meant for all babies, formula fed and EBF which my DS was.  In addition, my DS is a little sting bean. He's 90th percentile for height!
What I did end up doing was giving him one bottle of formula/BM at bedtime and that seemed to give him a boost.  I wrestled with that decision for a solid two weeks before doing it but I'm glad I did.  He's still only in the 25th percentile but because the numbers continue to rise and he's alert, content and happy, the doctor has said he should be just fine. 

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 22:07:32 pm »
The WHO charts since 2006 have been based on EBF babies and those are the ones the drs should be using but some probably aren't. These are the current ones. Growth Charts for EBF babies announced by the WHO

I did check your measurements against them though and it looks like your health professional is using the correct charts and your LO is on the 5th centile line.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 22:14:13 pm »
My ds fell from the 92nd percentile at birth to the 8th by about 4 months (and fell off the chart completely for height!). I was really lucky in that I had a hv who looked at him and could see that he was happy, thriving, meeting his milestones and so he just kept an eye on us (we had to go in for weighing a bit more frequently) but otherwise left us to get on with it. As pps have said, nappies are the best indicator for whether they are getting enough, and I think that you are able to tell whether he is satisfied with the amount he is eating.

It can be very worrying, but it is very common, and weight is not the only indicator of well-being. Trust your mummy instinct, and if you are happy that he is doing alright then ignore the numbers. Fwiw, my ds climbed back up the charts from about 18 months and is now on about the 70th (although he is still down in the 20s for height!).

Offline natashalil

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 03:25:24 am »
Thanks everyone, I will update you after the appointment tomorrow (Thursday), see what the LC says.

In the meantime I have been trying to add more feeds (like one poster mentioned, putting him back on after an hour), we will see if that works. Today he spit up a bit (maybe 2-3 tablespoons) of breastmilk, which isnt typical for him, but I will keep at it.

I also tried giving him a bottle after I fed him (once with formula, the next time with expressed breastmilk), and he refused both times. Another time I had DH try to give him a bottle to start the feed (I hid in the basement), and he cried and pushed away the bottle. So I REALLY hope that I can get my supply up if that is the problem. DS hasnt had a bottle since maybe 6 weeks old, I was planning on just weaning from breast to cup, now I wish I had given him the occasional bottle so I can get some more into him.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 03:28:29 am by natashalil »

Offline natashalil

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 02:59:47 am »
OK, saw the LC yesterday, she reassured me that he is fine, healthy, just probably a small guy like me and my husband. She advised to put him on the breast a couple more times during the day and try a DF, but other than that nothing to worry about. Will be going back in 3 weeks for a weigh-in.

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 06:06:10 am »
Great news:)