Author Topic: wind  (Read 2662 times)

Offline emmyheats

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 20, 2014, 03:35:07 am »
hi all
not sure if this is the right to post this but can anyone advise about wind please and what else I can do to help my lo? he is 4 months old and suffers badly from wind. we give infacol ay each feed and have done since he was a month old. - is ge too used to it? its really random when he suffers coz some times he will bri g up no wind whatsoever and be fine but other times hes brought up some great burps but will b crying on pain from wind an hour later. we bottle feed and he takes feed well. he has recently had more bottom wind but could b  because he burps less now. its at night this mainly bothers him when his bottoms wind wakes him or after a feed hes really restless. I could wind for hours but not get a burp. because I no he suffers from wind I sometimes think im winding him too much aftera feed especially at night which doesn't help. how long should I spend winding him?. hes on anti colic bottles from tommy t - should I try replacing them with fresh ones to see if it helps? at my wirs end here!
thanks
x

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: wind
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 08:09:52 am »
Hi how do u wind? I always found up over shoulder good or laying over my legs with arms dangling down and rubbing upwards. I also used colief drops and dr browns bottles both expensive but worth it.
I did baby massage which helped a bit. I'd say a good 10 min winding is plenty if it's not up by then it's not coming up in my eyes x
Zoe

Offline emmyheats

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 08:47:41 am »
hiya
I wind with him sat on my knee and I jiggle him about a bit which does usually bring up wind.  we also do over the shoulder.  iv tried the one laying him flat on my legs but it never brings anything up. how does colief drops work? is it too late for me to change bottles and teats as hes used to these ones? I  also wind after hes finished his bottle unless its obvious ges got wind, because once that teat comes out his mouth he will refuse the bottle! I think im winding him for too long then as sometimes im winding him on off for 30-45 mins which us probably really disturbing his sleep at night. thanks xx

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 08:53:33 am »
Here's a good thread on peoples winding techniques - I swear by the one in the link roseola provided ;)
What are your best winding tips?
My boys had terrible wind along with reflux and colic (ick) and found tummy calm and colic calm fantastic! http://Www.coliccalm.com
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline emmyheats

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 10:51:31 am »
Thanks guys. lo is asleep but despute bringing up some really good wind (both ends!)on his last feed hes literally laughing in his sleep - which I assume is wind?  just reading bout colief - this seems to b more for colic when my little one has trouble bringing up wind which some times leads to major crying sessiobs but usually very restless nights from bottom wind and I thik a gripey tummy too. will it do any harm to try? x

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 13:14:34 pm »
What about trying gripe water!? Not sure of the age it's ok from but my mum used to swear by it. Not sure about changing bottles but give the winding tips on the link ago first as they will be cheaper ;-)
My HV suggested the colief as thought mine might have had trouble with the lactose in milk but said you can tell if they are very windy bum end and if poop a bit green x
Zoe

Offline emmyheats

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 21:33:53 pm »
oh ok. he is windy bum end, especially at night but no green poops. I was reading the colief stugf and apparently if he dud hace a problem with the lactose it would have shown sooner as it says the symptoms get better after 3 months as babies digestion matures. il give the links a go!! xxx

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 00:13:11 am »
Hugs
Have you considered MPI? Something to keep an eye on.
Does my LO have food intolerances?
How does he feed, could he need a change in bottle teat?
Any reflux symptoms? 4 mths seems quite old to still have an LO suffering from really bad wind on it's own YK?
***Sara***

Offline emmyheats

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 15:21:15 pm »
Thanks for links hun. I dont think he does have a lactose intolerance or intolerance to anything else because hehas some symptoms but not all. Interesting though coz lo had a fu ny tum at xmas and pooped for England but his poop was tested and not infection etc. its settled down now and he does 2-3 a day. he was really fussy for ages on his feeds and wouldn't take his full feed so I switched to number 2 teat which better. he can still b very fussy on feeds though ans squirms etc pushing teatout of mouth as was finished but would take his dummy? what should I be looki g for for refluxor silent reflux?hes not fussy all the time,  only last night he drained all his 7.5 oz bottle with no problems. he has stsrted spittinglup much more even hours after feed, which us usual for him as he never been a sicky baby - if it was reflux wouldn't he have been sicky so er? he's happy and smiling and doesn't mind if I ppop him on his back straight aftera feed. hes always suffered from wind but onoy in last month his bottom wind has started. does this sound anything like reflux?  x

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 18:34:15 pm »
It doesn't scream reflux to me (thought they don't have to spit up to have acid reflux) I just wanted to rule it out YK?
Pain from gas and wind is more likely to be digestive related, is your baby on solids at all yet? If so have they helped or made him worse?
Did you get him checked for tongue tie?
***Sara***

Offline emmyheats

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 22:22:51 pm »
He was checked at his 8 wks at doc andcwas ok. not on solids yet - I know I could give him baby rice at 4 months byt as hes not draining all his bottles I didnt think he was ready? should I try?

a friend said that if a baby has no wind then taking infacol coukd have rebetse affect of creating wind as it could make bubbles I tummy? im wondering if I will stop it coz its not helping anyway!

discovered today that lo likes his milk really quite warm and he'll vtake more!
 x

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 00:42:53 am »
a friend said that if a baby has no wind then taking infacol coukd have rebetse affect of creating wind as it could make bubbles I tummy? im wondering if I will stop it coz its not helping anyway!
Mmm not sure if that's true. Check out their site and see how it works but I think there has to be bubbles in the tum for it to work as it just pushes them together to make a big one...

How  is he now? More settled?
***Sara***

Offline emmyheats

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 21:21:00 pm »
hiya
hes actually been alot better since we stopped the infacol so I dont think he needed it. we also moved him into his cot and put in a sleeping bad and the extra room he has seems to have helped too!
x

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 07:00:58 am »
Great news! :)
***Sara***