Author Topic: waking, standing, not re-settling!  (Read 857 times)

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 22, 2014, 00:36:39 am »
I'm at a bit of a loss with my 8.5month old.  We have always struggled with naps but we finally got to a point where she was taking about 2 x 1.5hr naps in the day, and sleeping 11-12hrs at night. Recently however, she has cut most of her naps down to 1hr.  We were managing with that, but now we are lucky if we make it past 30minutes!  Some background: we did sleep training with her around 5-6months, she would go down wonderfully for naps and nighttime, awake and settle herself. She now stands in her crib and cries if I put her down the slightest bit awake so I have been rocking her to sleep and then putting her down. At night she can re-settle herself upon waking, but naps, if she stirs (at 30min or so now), it's standing immediately and crying, nap over!  I can nurse her back to sleep and hold her, but if I put her in the crib again she usually stirs.  I have been doing this a couple times in order to avoid the overtired monster, but I don't want to create a sleep association, I would just like her to go back to atleast 1hr naps and I would love to go back to putting her down awake and it not leading to a standing crying baby. She definitely knows how to sit herself down so I know that's not the problem.

Any suggestions? How did other people make it through the standing in the crib, putting baby down awake, etc?

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: waking, standing, not re-settling!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 10:52:03 am »
Bumping this for you!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 21:24:23 pm »
Thanks, would be great to get some insight on this!  I feel the longer we go assisting her to sleep, the harder it will be to untrain it.  I now try putting her down just before she's out and patting her until she's out to make sure she stays laying down.

Offline Emami

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: waking, standing, not re-settling!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 22:38:34 pm »
I think maybe she doesn't need 2 full naps any more.  I know she's on the young side to be starting to cap, and I'm not saying she's anywhere near ready to go to one nap, but it's not unlikely tha it could be the very beginning of the transition.  Fwiw my DD had her first one nap day at 9 months, so not much older than yours.  She was finally on one nap consistently at 14 months.

Cutting her naps to 1hr and not settling to sleep sounds like UT.  How long is she awake in the morning before her am nap?  I think I would try to bump up her A time, and then cap the am nap so that she is more tired from the longer morning and shorter nap and goes down easier for the pm (uncapped) nap.  What do you think?
Emma