Author Topic: Over feeding?  (Read 2491 times)

Offline Raroo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 23, 2014, 19:12:56 pm »
Hi all!
LO is 16 days old and quite the screamer. I feed every 3 hours, one sided bf for between 20 mins to 1/2 an hr. LO doesn't nurse the whole time, he takes breaks. He screams after feeds and is very unsettled for up to 2 hours, not happy to be put down and he has lots of wind. He was born at 3.1kg and by the middle of the first week weighed 3.2kg. By day 13 he weighed 3.85. Is that too much?? Am I over feeding and could this be causing stomach issues? Tia

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Over feeding?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 20:41:21 pm »
You can't over feed a BF baby. It really is not the same as over feeding a baby with formula. With BM they do not lay down extra fat cells which lead to being obese later in life like they do with FF. My babies went from just over the 50th centile line to the 91st centile whilst being EBF and they only dropped back down once they started solids and began moving around this burning more energy. At every weigh in the health visitors asked how I was feeding as he was growing very fast but said it was nothing to worry about since he was EBF. You are obviously doing a great job with the BFing and have fab milk :)

So I wouldn't worry about his growth rate but if he seems to be crying from discomfort then let's try to work out why.

Do you think it is possible you have a very fast flow or over supply? Have a look here and see if anything sticks out. Oversupply and Overactive (Forceful) Let-Down

Is he bringing lots of milk back up? Have a look here to see if he has signs of reflux. Reflux 101 - General reflux information

The other thing to consider is that he may have food intolerances. Does he have any of the symptoms listed in the FAQ? Does my LO have food intolerances?

Or he could just have colic or wind. Have you tried any wind meds?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Raroo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 15:45:11 pm »
Thanks for the reply! DS has a few symptoms from each of these :( constant nappy rash, crying and not settling after feeds, excessive wind and grizzliness. Keeping him upright doesn't seem to help. To be honest the only thing that calms him is being held CONSTANTLY. I really don't want to hold him to sleep and let him sleep on my chest because I know from DD1 how hard that is to fix!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 20:17:29 pm »
Well he is only tiny. I think it is normal to want to be close  to mummy, he has been tucked up inside you for 9 months.  :)

There are some tips for combatting the Overactive letdown so maybe try some of those.

If you suspect reflux or food intolerances then I would book an appointment with your doctor to discuss the symptoms and get help treating them.

Have you done the baby type questionnaire? Do you know what personality type he is?
The BW "Know Your Baby Quiz"

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 20:25:50 pm »
I think it is normal to want to be close  to mummy, he has been tucked up inside you for 9 months.  :)
There's a theory of the 'fourth trimester', which suggests that babies are still very dependent on physical closeness, warmth, and so on. It really made sense with both my LOs, but personality made a big difference.  'Touchy' LO1 let us know how much he wanted to be held, wouldn't go in a push-chair, had to have a sling, etc etc. I ended up going much the same route with 'Angel' LO2 who just loved being cuddled :)  It was lovely with both of them though.  Bear in mind, he's still very tiny, so don't panic about creating habits.

Congratulations and hugs!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 21:12:02 pm »
Agree with weaver - lots of cuddles.  LO's nervous system is still immature and he is adjusting to life in the outside world and doesn't yet realise he's not the same person as mum.

For what it's worth, I think I cuddled DD for all of her naps up to the point where she stopped taking them and she goes to bed beautifully each night still at 3yo.  It doesn't have to be a "rod" or a prop - it can simply be forming good attachment :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline Raroo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 20:06:50 pm »
Thanks for replies! I chilled out about worrying about AP. Lots of cuddling him to sleep now! I try once a day at least to put him in his cot just before he falls asleep. LO is on Zantac for silent reflux. Just trying to get him to take a couple of decent naps in the day, even if it means rocking him to sleep. Really hope Zantac helps with the pain!  :'( are the grunting noises caused by pain??

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 14:58:37 pm »
When is he making the grunting noises?

I hope the Zantac helps.

Offline Raroo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 16:46:35 pm »
After feeds. Usually about half an hour later or so. Sounds like an old man grunting but he doesn't cry after.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 19:32:55 pm »
Maybe just digestion then?

Offline Raroo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 02:52:49 am »
Hmm not sure it sounds like discomfort. Not sure if it's gas though or reflux

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 19:59:07 pm »
Maybe just make sure you burp him extra well, that will help the reflux anyway.