Author Topic: 5 month old sucking and pulling off screaming  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Picker blocker

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 month old sucking and pulling off screaming
« on: February 23, 2014, 20:41:00 pm »
My daughter is now 5 months old. About a month ago, she started to eat poorly. She usually only eats for 5-7 minutes at a time.  She starts off eating normally and then just pulls off screaming and I stick a pacifier in until she wants more food.  This happens a few times until she is done eating.  2 weeks ago it got even worse and she started doing this high pitched screech.  A few days later she was puking and had diarrhea.  Doc said it was prob just a stomach bug.  She has always spit up a lot and she usually poops after almost every feed (just recently starting pooping less, but still a few times per day).  Until 2 weeks ago, she was eating every 3-3.5 hours and waking once during the night to eat.  When she was sick, i was feeding her more so that she didn't get dehydrated.  Now that she is better, she is back to eating every 2.5-3 hours.  But last three nights she has woken twice - sleep around 8 30 (eating at 6 30-7 to allow time to spit up), and then up to eat at 12 30 - or 1 and again at 3 or 3 30.  She usually doesn't spit up during the night (only rarely) which is weird considering that during the day she can spit up for 1.5 hours after eating and even sometimes after a nap, 2-3 hours later.  She usually takes short naps, about 45 min, and sometimes 1 longer one (1.5-2.5 hrs), which is why she still eats so often.  I started rice cereal last week to see if it will help, but she doesn't know how to swallow it yet and makes a disgusted face when I put it in her mouth :)  When she has a bottle, she eats 3.5 ounces at a time.  I don't think she pulls off as much, but still spits up after.  She is in the 80th percentile for weight, so there is no concern that she is not getting enough food.

Just wondering if there is a reason for the deterioration in the way that she eats - why she pulls off screaming and needs to go back and forth between me and the soother.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 5 month old sucking and pulling off screaming
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 20:56:49 pm »
If she is sick so long after feeding do you think she has an intolerance to something you are eating perhaps? Does my LO have food intolerances?

Or could you have a fast flow that she needs a break from sometimes? Oversupply and Overactive (Forceful) Let-Down

If she can't swallow the solid food then it sounds like she is not ready for solids yet. One of the criteria for starting solids should be that the tongue thrust reflex has gone and they can swallow food as recommended by WHO. The other signs are being able to sit unaided with a steady head and to pick up and put food in their own mouth. http://www.unicef.org.uk/Documents/Baby_Friendly/Leaflets/3/introducing-solid-foods.pdf

Do you think she has wind? Have you tried just sitting her up and burping her rather than offering the paci when she starts getting upset? Sometimes LOs need a few burping sessions during each feeding.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Picker blocker

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 21:05:11 pm »
So she has blood n her stool so I have been  off dairy since she was 2.5months.  I will take a look at that link though.  I do have a fast flow but try to squeeze out some milk so that it doesn't spray into her mouth.

She can hold her head up and sit supported no problem. I just think the texture is new for her and she doesn't know what to do yet.

When I try to sit her up to burp her instead of the paci, she arches her back  and pushes back and screams...she has always needed to suck...from the day she was born...

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 21:13:08 pm »
I'm sure you're very careful but do you think it is possible some hidden dairy got into your diet? Or that there are other foods like soy or wheat she could be intolerant to as well?

What about if you burp her with the paci in?

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 21:35:53 pm »
Hugs - does she have reflux Hun?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Picker blocker

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 22:34:18 pm »
I can usually burp her with the paci in, unless she wants to eat more in which case she arches the back and screams.  once she is done eating I can burp her without the paci, but she does like to suck it for a while after...usually until she spits up.  if she doesn't have the paci, her hands are in her mouth.

it is possible she has reflux...anything I can do to help without using meds?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 08:28:45 am »
There is a list if non-medical adjustments for reflux here but some babies only get relief from meds if it is severe. Reflux 101 - General reflux information

Offline Picker blocker

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 13:50:19 pm »
Thanks....I just got her some medicine, so hopefully that will make a difference!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 14:06:12 pm »
What did you get? I hope it helps :)

Offline Picker blocker

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 17:29:14 pm »
prevacid....it dissolves in her mouth.  only problem is that i have to cut the pills in half and they kinda crumble when i do.  my fingers are crossed!!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 00:40:54 am »
I hope it helps, give it a good 10 days :-* I think some ladies dissolve it in a little water then syringe in? Or you could prob add to a wee bit of puréed pear once dissolved in a wee bit of water and give via spoon.

***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Picker blocker

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 01:03:08 am »
I will give that a try. Thanks!