Author Topic: cluster feeding when bottle fed?  (Read 1885 times)

Offline adeleEprice

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
cluster feeding when bottle fed?
« on: March 04, 2014, 20:50:01 pm »
Hi, my son is 4 weeks old and takes 5 oz every 3 hours including twice through the night.  We are dreamfeeding at 11pm.
I see on the EASY chart it says to cluster feed at 6pm and 8pm - is this for breast fed babies only or should I do this also?  Do you offer the full 5oz at each cluster feed?
Even though we dream feed he still wakes 3 hours later, I guess this is normal until he is a bit older?  On the formula box it says he should only be on 5 bottles per 24 hours of 5oz, but he is on approx 8 every 24 hours - should I be worried about this?

Offline rachaelcole

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 21:17:48 pm »
Hi

Firstly please don't worry about what the guidelines on the box say. My DD maxed out at 36 oz's a day at about 8 weeks, but had reached 42ozs during growth spurts.  Tracey references this in her book & says the box is average guidelines - if you have a bigger baby or one that is more active they will need more food.  I also questioned the HV about this as I too was worried about over feeding and they reassured me that so long as the growth curve was followed with no worrying spikes in weight I had nothing to worry about. They also said that even FF babies are hard to over feed (especially if you follow EASY) as if their tummy isn't big enough to hold the amount of food they will just throw it back up again.

A very long winded way of saying don't worry so long as weight gain is on track! DD is 16 weeks now and still has more than the box says!

I have followed EASY with DD from day 1 but I could never get her to take a cluster feed without affecting the amount she would then take during dream feed. Again Tracey references this in her book and says if you have to choose between the two then choose the dream feed. If you decide to persevere with cluster feeding (it will take a few days for LO to get used to it) the I would offer full feeds to start with until you work out how much he will take. If you find DF is suffering you could reduce both or 2nd cluster feedings so DF is a bigger feed. A bit of guess work & trial & errot involved there.

Two night wakings at 4 weeks is great (people would kill for that!). We had 2 night wakings until 6 weeks, then 1 night waking until she started to learn to STTN at 8 weeks. With STTN Tracey's words in her book were so helpful to me - without going to get the book and quote directly, it says something like if baby is having 30-35ozs during the daytime (including DF) they probably won't need the calories at night.  With this ringing in my ears one night I decided to try a dummy at the night waking instead of the feed and that was that...we never looked back! You could try that for the first feed of the night and see what happens? In saying that I am certainly not suggesting you don't feed if LO is hungry!! Another option is to give minimal feed possible - so if you currently feed 5ozs at both night wakings, try 4ozs and see if waking increases or stays the same, then slowly reduce.

HTH

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: cluster feeding when bottle fed?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 21:24:53 pm »
Hi hun, honestly at your LO's age I fed when I saw hungry cues and did a sort of rough routine. They have so many little growth spurts that I wouldn't be worried, you have a good eater it sounds like.
I would say if draining bottles you could consider upping it by an oz to see if LO hungrier.
Personally I didn't cluster feed as it made my LO a bit sick, I just did DF and NF as wanted at this age.
You sound like your doing great and the 2 NF is pretty normal at this age x
Zoe

Offline adeleEprice

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 16:25:12 pm »
thank you, these replies are so helpful.  What is STTN?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 18:45:15 pm »
Sleeping through the night x
Zoe

Offline rachaelcole

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1