Author Topic: Nighttime diapers messing us up  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Raroo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 06, 2014, 09:22:14 am »
Hi please can someone offer some advice. LO is 4 weeks old, suffers with silent reflux but is on Zantac. The night time feeds are driving me crazy because he always has a dirty diaper when he wakes up but then has another one by the end of the feed. If I change him after the feed or even in the middle, he is wide awake at the end and will not resettle. Last night he didn't go back to sleep for 2 1/2 hours at which point I just resigned to apop and let him sleep on my chest. If I don't change him, he also won't resettle because he hates being in a dirt diaper. Any ideas?

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Nighttime diapers messing us up
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 10:24:18 am »
Hello,

Are you BFing or bottle feeding?

If H needs a change after a nf then I always offer her a bit more bf after the change to relax and calm her again. She never takes much but it means I can then put her down afterwards no problem. Could you do that?

Or if you're bottle feeding can you save a bit for after the change? (No experience of bottle feeding tho so sorry if that's a daft suggestion)?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Raroo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 21:03:37 pm »
Thanks for suggestion! Going to try that tonight. Sorry should have mentioned we bf! Hoping for a better night!!

Offline cath~

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 21:23:55 pm »
Hope it helps and you have a better night. FXd.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Raroo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 23:14:16 pm »
Hey we are in a real mess now.  :( :( LO still doesn't settle well after the night feeds even if I do feed a bit more at the end. At the moment he is refusing day naps. Will fall asleep while bf which obviously wrecks EASY but also then wakes up a short while after and won't resettle. Tried shh/ pat but he just gets worked up. Since Thursday LO has wanted to eat ALL the time. I eventually give in but I am trying so hard to stick to at least 2 and a half hours but today that was nearly impossible and I had to feed every 2 hours a few times. I don't know if it's a major growth spurt or something else? LO falls asleep while bf so I don't even know if he is taking a full feed. Ahhh I'm tired!! Long nights and long days!
Any advice???

Offline cath~

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 10:17:39 am »
((Hugs)) Hun. There can be lots of ups and downs during the first few weeks (well, years really ;) ).

There is the first wonder week at around 4.5-5.5 wks from your EDD which can be a big disruption.  LOs might want to feed more (for comfort) and can be more clingy and have trouble settling for sleep.  Sounds like that could be a factor?
http://www.thewonderweeks.com

It's still really early so honestly don't worry if you're not followng a perfect easy at this stage. 

Have you tried white noise at all?  We find that playing some white noise really helps H calm down and settle, for naps, BT and after NFs.  There are lots of apps/websites available where you can play it from if you search.

Also, you mentioned reflux.  I don't have experience of that but I know from reading on here that LOs often need a meds increase as they put on weight,  maybe something to discuss with your doctor?

Have you seen this?

tips for calming my refluxing LO
And
Sleep and the reflux baby.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Raroo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 16:03:33 pm »
Read about the wonder weeks and downloaded the app and it most definitely must be that! Makes it better to know it will pass in a few more days! Thank you! Any suggestions though of what to do for now? Should I bf every 2 hours and hold him to sleep??
Thank you!!

Offline cath~

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 19:24:51 pm »
Yeah, if he's wanting to bf then I'd def let him.  Hold him to sleep too if that's what he needs ATM.  You can always get back on track after the WW.  It is still so early and he has a lot to deal with with this WW so I'd give him all the comfort he needs.

HTH x
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old