Author Topic: Switch to cows milk  (Read 1865 times)

Offline lolsyb1982

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
Switch to cows milk
« on: March 06, 2014, 15:29:28 pm »
Hi

DD turns 1 in 3 weeks and was just wondering how many lo's happily switch straight to cows milk or if the majority need part formula/cows milk for a while?

We are on 2 bottles a day at the moment.  Can I carry on with those until she starts to refuse as much solids or should i be dropping them?  She's pretty small for her age and is happily taking about 14/16oz milk at the moment plus 3 decent sized meals and snacks. She doesn't stop eating actually!!!!

thanks
Lauren

Offline Jodes112

• Showing Appreciation 42
  • You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 15:36:30 pm »
Hi, both with my son and dd we just switched, but i introduced small amounts as a drink first (like in the afternoon with a snack) just to test wether they got on ok with it. Dd has just turned one, she was having around 5oz bottle in the am which we switched about 4 days ago to cows milk in sippy & she drinks it all down (around 5oz) and we intend to switch the evening bottle (around 6oz) next week to cows milk in sippy, once we know shes ok with the morning one. We did the same sort of thing with ds who is now 3.

I think its totally up to you though a lot of babies stay on bottle & formula for longer it depends if you think lo is ready. Dd has a good varied diet - 3 good meals so we just went for it.

Hth a little
Jody
 xx

Offline lolsyb1982

Re: Switch to cows milk
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 15:42:22 pm »
Thanks  :)

I think I will start trying a little with her snack to see if she likes it.  I'm not sure she's ready to swap the milk to a cup yet.  She does drink water from a sippy or doidy but she doesn't drink huge amounts and I have to keep getting her to take a couple of sips throughout the day.  Probably manage to get 4 oz of water throughout the day into her.
She wouldn't drink 5oz milk in one go from a cup, actually she takes about an hour to finish a bottle too!

Would like to get away from formula - mainly as I'm sick of sterilizing and would be cheaper too  ;)
Lauren

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 15:52:37 pm »
Would like to get away from formula - mainly as I'm sick of sterilizing and would be cheaper too  ;)

If you are using a bottle for any kind of milk then *ideally* you should still sterilise. I didn't do it every day at that age, I gave them a good wash and then sterilised once a week or so!

Once they hit 1 they only need about 14oz of dairy to get their needs met and that doesn't have to be liquid milk, all the dairy in food counts. It sounds like her diet at the moment is fine for her age!

We found that at about 13 months my DD began refusing her breakfast so we swapped her milk to a sippy and offered it mid morning with toast as a snack. She didn't drink much at first but after a couple of weeks she got the hang of it and was drinking a whole sippy of cow's milk.

Are you using a fast teat on the bottles? A bottle feed should be done with in about 20 mins - and don't forget that milk is a drink now not a food!

Laura

Offline lolsyb1982

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 16:36:53 pm »
Yes she has been on the fast teats for about 6 months.  She just seems to drink maybe 3/4 oz and then need a break for a while and then finish the rest a bit later.  Since the day she was born she has never drank her whole bottle in one go so have always assumed its the norm for her.

Ok once a week sterilising sounds better.  Will keep working on the sippy to get her to drink more.

thanks
Lauren

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 21:40:17 pm »
DD turns 1 in 3 weeks and was just wondering how many lo's happily switch straight to cows milk or if the majority need part formula/cows milk for a while?
Mine didn't bat an eye when I switched to cows milk. Actually the was a problem getting his formula in any shop in our town at about 11.5 months and rather than switch to a different formula I just switched to cows a couple of weeks early.
We dropped the night bottle at 12 months and the morning bottle at 13 months.  Both stress and crying free, the BT one was a gradual wean and switched to a sippy of milk with a supper time snack before going up for his bath.  The morning milk was a little harder to switch, I needed him to take the full amount of milk so kept trying with a straw in his bottle instead of the teat and when he wouldn't take it I just popped the teat on the bottle to give him the milk, then one day he went for it with the straw and I was so pleased to ditch the bottles (and no more sterilising).