Author Topic: My 3 week old seems to only sleep if she breast feeds right before nap  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Nadinegibbs

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I'm doing the easy method but the problem is when she eats and then we do activity she always wants milk again before sleep and actually drinks a lot. Could my breast milk not be filling her up?  So confused I know it's wrong to feed because she only sleeps with milk now how can I break this habit?

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
Have you tried feeding from one side, then A-time (not very long at this age) and then feeding from the other (or the same again, if you have oversupply) and then swaddling,  put him down awake with patting and shushing? We did that sometimes, as he was wide again after being put down after second feed. Only works if A-times is kept short.

I wouldn't fret too much about EASY as of yet, you are still establishing your supply and should feed when baby is hungry  :-*

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
It is not wrong to feed at all.  She is so tiny you have plenty of time to get EASY going so do not feel pressured.

How long is she awake between sleeps?  How long are her feeds?  Do you offer both sides at each feed or just one?  At this age most are only doing 50-60 mins of A time and then they are asleep again. Most of that time is usually feeding anyway plus a burp,  quick cuddle and nappy change.

Also, check out this FAQ. Breastfeeding and EASY in the first few weeks

And no I would not worry you are not filling her up.  Check out this FAQ for reassurance. I'm worried I may have low milk supply
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 19:59:12 pm by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011