Author Topic: how often do you los eat chocolates/ sweets/ crisps?  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Aishi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 105
how often do you los eat chocolates/ sweets/ crisps?
« on: March 18, 2014, 16:23:30 pm »
Just that really :) my los are 26mo and almost 4....

i tend to give them crisps and/or little chocolate once a week. Fig biscuits/ cake/ ice cream once a week. And they get choc/ crisps at my mums once a week too (a little out of my control). written down it seems like a lot  :-\

Tia!
aishi :)

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
Re: how often do you los eat chocolates/ sweets/ crisps?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 16:29:55 pm »
Once or twice a week. Usually weekends...

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 17:31:38 pm »
I think portion is a huge aspect to this conversation. we don't do crisps at all but the children almost every day get something that is 'sweet' could be 4-6 raisins that are covered with chocolate/sweet or  a couple of smallish like maybe 1 inch or so wide choc chip cookies
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 18:05:52 pm »
Yeah same as mukta.
T only has marshmellows as he is intolerant to so much. Sugar upsets him too.
Z often gets one or two choc drops (m&ms, or pebbles) a day. I've moved from biscuits etc with him as they effect his behaviour to low sugar, gf, DF oat ones. http://www.nairns-oatcakes.com/oat-biscuits-stem-ginger his worst is fruit bars and crackers which I try to limit to every other day but he's a fussy one. ::)

***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 18:19:03 pm »
  I didn't offer sweets at all until dd got old enough to ask for them!   ;)  I make homemade muffins a couple of times a month.  DD almost always wants dessert after dinner....it really depends what we have around.  She loves berries with whipped cream on top, that is a dessert that happens at least twice or 3 times a week! She sees it as dessert, and I love that she is eating fresh berries, so its a win-win.  a week!  She has ice cream or a popsicle maybe once a week.  She likes 'munchie' things like popcorn or goldfish or graham crackers, she probably has a snackie food like that almost every day I'd say!

I don't mind her having sweets, ('sometimes food', we call it) I'd just rather be the one who makes them, kwim?

Offline zeri

• Showing Appreciation 55
    • coffeebeing
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 18:43:24 pm »
we call it sometimes  food too, and they get a little something treatie every day after dinner. It might be strawberries and whipped cream (except I always end up making too much whipped cream, and I can't abide the oily feel of the canned stuff), a small square of dark chocolate, or a fruit smoothie popsicle. They get a bit of candy or a cookie maybe once a week and chips/crisps about once a month. It's not a stance against salt/sugar on my part so much as we just aren't in the habit of buying it!
~Lisa~
http://fivecentcandy.wordpress.com/
http://coffeebeing.blogspot.ca/

Spirited Gigglet 2008         Sweet Pickle 2010

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 18:52:17 pm »
like Anne, our daily dessert after dinner is always fruit , my Lo will have a banana with some honey drizzled on top :) and older one will have any fruit as is for dessert
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 18:54:42 pm »
Mine doesn't get much because I generally scoff it all as soon as it comes in our front door  :P ;D :-[ :-[

Offline Aishi

• Showing Appreciation 105
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 19:13:42 pm »
Lol mashi thats what im like. Ive told dh to stop buying junk cos i eat it before the kids! Thanks for your replies. Ive only recently started giving them more cos i was worrying i was depriving them and they may get unhealthy food associations in the sense that they will worry about getting fat if they do occasionally have treats iykwim?

Ds actually prefers fruit which he has after meals/ snacks but dd def has a sweet tooth...
aishi :)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 20:18:09 pm »
My kids both ask constantly but I try to limit it to one piece of sometimes food a day.  So they will have either crisps with lunch (usually half an individual packet) or ice cream for dessert or a finger of fudge/other mini chocolate or 4 jelly sweets or 1-2 cookies for example.  I usually give them only if they have already eaten the healthy food part of the meal although try to hide that fact from them. If they don't eat lunch or dinner I just offer fruit and yoghurt instead.
I do sometimes have to tell Cadan though that I'm not throwing away a perfectly good dinner to the go dishing up more food (dessert) otherwise he would take one bite of his dinner,  say he was done and then eat a whole ice cream cone.  ::)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 20:19:04 pm »
Oh and I eat a bar of chocolate most days when they are in bed  :-[
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 22:17:29 pm »
Mine doesn't get much because I generally scoff it all as soon as it comes in our front door  :P ;D :-[ :-[

Haha! I used to do the same until they developed a good memory and got mad when their treats disappeared!!!

They probably have something a couple or three times a week, sometimes more if dh is the one taking them to the store, he is a sucker for his girls!
Heidi

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 22:52:25 pm »
I am more and less like Ali.
 I am actually totally ok if he has some sweets, as long as he eats ok. Also, here breakfast is generally sweet (a classical one, also for many adults I know, is cookies with milk), so F often has sweets at breakfast, although he sometimes asks for some sandwich or egg or cheese.
Then, he can have a cookie/sweet as a snack when we are out and about, and icecream is a usual afternoon snack here during the summer, and as long as it is a fresh handmade icecream I feel that it is actually more nutritious than other things. At meals, fruit is generally always served, so he normally doesn't ask for sweets.
That said, F eats almost everything and quite well, and he is not particularly attracted by sweets, he often prefers something salty instead.
I am the one with a sweet tooth here... :-\
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 22:54:11 pm by barbaraz78 »
Barbara

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 23:04:36 pm »
Oh and I eat a bar of chocolate most days when they are in bed  :-[
Same :-[
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 05:57:09 am »
I used to be really strict but my son (3) rarely has any chocolate or crisps but he does have cakes or biscuits perhaps once ever day or every other day.  I do sometimes make low sugar or no added sugar cakes but I'm nowhere near as strict as I used to be.  If he's had biscuits as a snack in the morning, I'll tend to be a bit more strict in the afternoon so maybe offer fruit as a pudding rather than a crumble and custard or something.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/