Author Topic: Need to supplement with Formula  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Mandermeln

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 26, 2014, 17:12:37 pm »
I've been back at work for the past month and although I'm pumping regularly I'm not producing enough milk to cover all my LOs feedings and my freezer supply is down to 15oz. I'm going to need to start supplementing one bottle a day. Any suggestions as to which feeding? I plan to continue to BF for the first morning feeding and any possible MOTN feedings. Also, if he regularly gets 5 oz of expressed milk how much formula should I give?  Is it a 1:1 ratio? 

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Need to supplement with Formula
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 18:36:00 pm »
I would start with 5 oz of formula if that is what he takes with ebm now...if you find he is draining the bottles that is a sign you need to up the amount. How old is he? DD3 is 7 months and we mix feed, she takes between 5-6 oz a feed, the odd time 7-8 oz.

As to which feed...we did the bedtime feed first for no particular reason!
Heidi

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 18:42:24 pm »
We did bedtime and DF (mixed bm and f) with ds1.  Could it be that your valve is getting knackered? After months of usage, the can tire out.

Well done keeping it up for so long!

Offline Mandermeln

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 20:14:15 pm »
Thanks for the advice!  We will try F for the bedtime feed just bc that's what both of you ladies did! LO is 4 months now. He takes about 32oz in 24 hours and I just can't keep up.  I know it's a ton of BM but that's cut down from about 38 oz when I first went back to work and he was obviously being waaaay overfed. I spoke w the ped and she said 32 was ok. He's still small for his age so she insists we don't worry too much about overfeeding.

I will also try replacing my valves on my medela PIS. I only use that one at night. I have a rented symphony at work so I don't think the pump is the issue there.

One more question- what type of formula do you suggest? I bought similac advance but noticed there is also organic and one for supplementing.

Thanks!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 20:21:18 pm »
Hmm I dont know much about organic formula (ie whether it is worth it or just a marketing thing?). We use Nestle Good Start because DD3 was sensitive to dairy in bm and it is more broken down than regular milk based formula.
Heidi

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 20:34:24 pm »
The more broken down the better! Even if the smell is weird, you can mix at first to get LO used to it.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 20:42:51 pm »
Are you not around for the BT feeds? Personally I would give formula at a daytime feed while I was at work, otherwise won't you still have to pump for the daytime feeds you miss? Or are you working evenings and someone else puts LO to bed?

If you can feed directly from the breast for all the feeds you are around for that will help your supply.

Bear in mind that while over feeding is not an issue with breast milk it is a danger with formula due to a difference in the way fat cells are laid down between BF and FF babies. Too much formula increases the chance of obesity and weight problems in later life. I imagine 32oz total would be fine though you wish to check with your dr.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Mandermeln

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 21:23:28 pm »
I am around for the BT feed but after taking a bottle all day long my LO refuses to BF. Were doing paced feeding with the bottles (after very helpful suggestions on this site) but he still refuses. He will BF for MOTN and first morning feed. My issue is I only will get 4 oz after work and before bed regardless how many times I pump in those hours. And since were still DF we use the milk for that.  If we dropped the DF I could probably get away without supplementing I guess.

Offline Mandermeln

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 21:24:49 pm »
I should've added even though he refuses I still try every night hoping that just a few minutes of suckling will help my supply.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 21:53:15 pm »
Would he BF for the DF? Then you could offer that pumped milk at another time.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Mandermeln

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 23:23:24 pm »
No unfortunately... He just wakes right up and cries and cries if I try to BF for the DF.  He will stay asleep and go right back down with the bottle.