Author Topic: Foul smelling gas in 13week old- ebf  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Rubes_ct12

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: March 27, 2014, 07:09:51 am »
Hi

I'm wondering is it normal for lo's to have really bad smelling gas??
My 13 week old bubs gas is getting worse and worse, we've always had issues with her being uncomfortable with gas and +\- reflux which she's now on meds for (but I really don't know if it was reflux or abdo discomfort)  but now with the bad smelling gas I'm wondering if  it could be an intolerance to something?

How do you find out if they have an intolerance and to what?

Thx

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 07:32:46 am »
How do you feed? One or double sided? Gas and discomfort can sometimes occur if baby is switched too early from one side to the other or if you have oversupply x

Offline Rubes_ct12

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 08:15:46 am »
Hi I do both sides. If I could do the one I would, but my LO is fussy as it is on the boob always pulling on and off and I think when the flow slows down she gets even fussier so that's when I switch. Should I just keep putting her on the same side? I'm not sure about my supply because when I express I usually only get 50mls. Her poo's are not seeded anymore just liquid/mucous (sorry lol). And smells like her gas does! Bad!

Offline Shdef

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 08:37:42 am »
The expressing doesn't really indicate supply at all. Could you try maybe feed her, then change, bit of activity and then feed again from the same side? How are her poos?

Offline Rubes_ct12

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 08:53:35 am »
They were like orange in colour and liquid/mucousy but the last couple have been liquid/mucous but darker in colour like olive/orange. Usually once a day.

The other thing I forgot to say is it normal to hear heaps and heaps of popping and really loud rumbling after feeds?

And during the day the best I can do is 15 min both sides- more like 10 But at night she'll do 15 on each side so 30 in total- anywhere from 2-3 feeds at night still.

If I try and change her nappy etc and then try and go back to feeding she tends to just refuse but I'll give that a go tomorrow. If I can keep her on the one side do I go the other side at all?

Offline Shdef

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 10:23:23 am »
Try not to, just see what happens. Sometimes those issues are caused by too much foremilk. I have seen that a lot, recently.

DS is feeding a little funny atm, too. Swallowing more air than usual  ::)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Foul smelling gas in 13week old- ebf
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 11:39:47 am »
Have you checked out our FAQ on intolerances?
Does my LO have food intolerances?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Shdef

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 13:35:52 pm »
oh and one more thing... ds is also 13 weeks and i have to prop something under my boob while feeding now.  ::)

helps with the tummy noises...

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 16:00:41 pm »
Hi there, my DS1 had really bad smelling gas as well. It was so surprising to me as both my DD and he were EBF and hers never smelled like that. I was told it was normal though, and he didn't have reflux or any intolerances, to the best of my knowledge.

However, since her poops have changed, I think it's worth looking into. It could be the reflux meds that have caused a change, it could be too much foremilk, it could be an intolerance, or it could be nothing. Might be worth a call to her doctor.

Offline Rubes_ct12

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 22:08:09 pm »
Thank you ladies.

Last night and this morning I only fed her from one side, when she fussed on the one side I changed her nappy and tried to pop her back on but no luck so she only fed for like 7min on the one side. I just don't know if it's enough but I guess I'll find out!

She only fed once well and one snack last night where the few nights before she would take both sides and for 15min each side.... Maybe growth spurt. Don't know if that would contribute to change in poop or not. This morning her poop looked a bit more normal. Think I'll see how she goes with the one sided feed.

I have already cut dairy pretty much. The only thing I eat a lot of would be wheat. Thx for the info.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 00:04:09 am »
Could possibly be wheat. We also had issues with cruciferous veg: broccoli, cauliflower, kale, cabbage.

Also, did you get abx for GBS at birth? She may have started with a compromised gut biome, in which case some baby probiotics can help. I ended up doing that with DD#2 and we went from room-clearing farts to quiet tummy in a day or two. You can find baby-specific probies in health food stores, and if you're concerned about dairy, ask them whether they're dairy-free.

Offline Rubes_ct12

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 09:13:00 am »
Nope my hosp didn't even test for gbs so no abs.

Yes I actually have probiotics for her but haven't really been giving them but I have her some today. I fed her on one side only today and she seemed content. I guess I'll see how much she feeds o/n. I fed her a bottle of ebm 100mls (from 2 sessions on the same side) pre bed as she never bf well there cos she's ot.

If I want to continue doing that 1 ebm feed does anyone know how much I should give?

I'm hoping all these tips will help decrease the amount of wind too!!

Offline Shdef

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 09:31:05 am »
My 13-week old takes 5-6 oz EBM.  :-*

If LO isn't content yet, try put her back on the same side, just for now until things have settled. Have you tried and prop your boob up with a folded muslin underneath? No idea why, but this helps us so much!

Offline Rubes_ct12

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 09:48:00 am »
Ok!

No I'll try the muslin tomorrow then, she feeds really well for the few minutes but once the let downs finished she gets frustrated I think. She took the bottle so peacefully and easy, no fighting!! Makes me want to do more bottles haha!