Author Topic: Almost four months. When can I give one spoonful of puree?  (Read 3992 times)

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
Almost four months. When can I give one spoonful of puree?
« on: April 24, 2014, 21:32:59 pm »
Joey will be four months in three days. He has become extremely spitty, happy spitting though. The problem is, he has to take the EXACT amount of his medication so that his hypothyroidism doesn't cause permanent disability.

I would much prefer to mix the meds into a spoonful of puree on an empty stomach then give him it before a milk feed as I never know if he spits it back up  :-\

Not only would I SEE if it was the meds being spat up, but also, I reckon solids are heavier and stay in better?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Almost four months. When can I give one spoonful of puree?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 21:43:26 pm »
Hmmm that is a tough one...kind of seems like the benefit outweighs giving solids early (though really only a teaspoonful is not going to be a big deal in the scheme of things). Has he lost his tongue thrust though? If not you may find the puree wont go down either!
Heidi

Offline Shdef

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 21:59:20 pm »
I have practiced spoonfeeding with breastmilk and that works fine. I could express and then use sth to thicken bm and then feed it? It would have to be coloured though. hmmm.  :-\

Offline Shdef

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 22:05:49 pm »
He is on the 25th centile, doesn't sit unsupported and shows no signs of readiness and is always satisfied after a bf, so it's not like I want to wean him, you know? It really is about colour and consistency. HV recommended weaning at 17 weeks.  ::)

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 22:08:29 pm »
Oh I know it is more for your peace of mind. Hmm sweet potato is a nice colour and was one of the first foods we offered. (5.5 months though).
Heidi

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 23:54:21 pm »
How many tines per day does he need to take the meds? Is there a time when he's less spitty? Eg 1 hr after feed? Could you give him the meds ( eg mixed with bm) then?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 00:04:13 am »
DD2 was ready by 4.5mo and she had tried sweet potato and butternut squash by 5mo I think.  Pumpkin was also shortly after 5mo.  You could definitely tell whenshe spit those up!

Offline :: ANA ::

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Previously n&a's mommy
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 03:59:55 am »
DS started "solids" at 4 months, we never had any problems.
DD's doctor is suggesting that if she reaches 8oz of milk per feed, I should consider beginning solids "early" too.
So if the baby's doctor allows, I would go for it.

Also, I don't know what's the color/consistency or kind of the med he takes, but just wondering, have you tried giving it with a syringe (without the needle of course), pointed at the back of his cheek (where his future molars will be)? That way it's less likely he'll spit it when he pushes his tongue out.
Ana

Offline Shdef

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 06:55:56 am »
He takes 1.5 pills of thyroxine once a day. Crushed and given in a syringe, or on a spoon. Taking them isn't the problem, though I much prefer a spoon, as that is the one I crush it on and the less equipment needed, the less crumbs can get lost, ya know?

His spitting is always the same and all the time. Meds are to be given before a feed, at the same time every day, doesn't matter what time though.

It's just when I use BM, I can't see the colour difference  :-\

DS is bf, when he feeds EBM, he drinks 5-6 oz, so nowhere near the 8oz.

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 08:22:22 am »
Tbh I have never heard the 8 oz thing...here the rec for truly starting solids are that baby can sit up (unaided), pick up & brng food to mouth and has lost the tongue thrust - usually this happens around 6 months. But what you are proposing is a bit different though. How long after the meds will he be having milk? E tends to spit up solids quite a while after she has eaten them (not large amounts but enough to tell what she had!) so not sure seeing the colour would really tell you anything?
Heidi

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 09:09:49 am »
carobel is a thickener which can help with reflux and spit up and can be given on a spoon, but colourless. If you do decide to use solids what about well cooked and mashed peas, well A pea (nice and green) or just a bit of beetroot water. Beetroot shows up extremely well and he wouldn't even need to eat the solids - but you'd have to remember he ate beetroot juice and not panic about blood in the vom!!! (how many people panic and run to the docs after eating beetroot?).

Offline Shdef

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 10:13:18 am »
You are supposed to wait 30 min. Not always possible though, because as soon as he has the taste of boobie-milk, and gets sucking, he wants MORE!

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 13:42:11 pm »
I might be wrong on this, but I think that as long as the meds have been in the tummy for 20min then they have been absorbed  :-\  That is what we go by for antibiotics if dd1 is vomiting after them.    So if the timing is meds, 20-30min, feed, then spitup, you should be ok?  Can you ask the pharmacist how long the meds need to be in the tummy?

Offline okinawamama

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Stephanie
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 14:12:44 pm »
In your situation, I'd feel completely comfortable giving solids one time for medication. If it were us, I feel the pro's outweigh the cons.
toddler A 3/16/2009
baby B 4/20/2011

Offline Shdef

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 17:06:37 pm »
I might be wrong on this, but I think that as long as the meds have been in the tummy for 20min then they have been absorbed  :-\  That is what we go by for antibiotics if dd1 is vomiting after them.    So if the timing is meds, 20-30min, feed, then spitup, you should be ok?  Can you ask the pharmacist how long the meds need to be in the tummy?

Ped said 30 min. He doesn't go for 30 min without spitting  :-\