Author Topic: EWs getting earlier or long Nw?  (Read 1339 times)

Offline KookyK

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
EWs getting earlier or long Nw?
« on: April 26, 2014, 06:12:38 am »
Ugh things going bad again need some help!

DS is 8 months.

About 5 weeks ago with the advice and support on here I weaned the dummy using pu/pd and DS learnt to sleep independently (or with less help oe props). Big inprovemet when he moved to his own room too. Went from waking around 2 hrly (sometimes more, sometimes 3 hrly) to 2-3 wake ups. Have found DS is a v light sleeper and this is a bit tricky ATM (when I tiptoe to the bathroom at bedtime or OH comes home from work he wakes an needs resettling).

If I need to resettle DS usually I hum a tune  from outside his door and play soft white noise from his sleep sheep toy. Shhing, patting, saying comfort words and pu/pd make him worse!

He has no teeth and I think he's teething but I've wondered this for 3 months now so I can't keep excusing bad nights with that excuse!

Our routine which leads to fewest wake ups (or had been - worse in the last week or two)

A 5 or 5.30
S 8.30-9.15 on school run in carseat
S 12.30-2 (up to 2.30 when he has to wake to go on school run)
Bed 6.30

Last night he woke 8pm (I fed him as his last feed was v short unusually), 12, 3.30. Awake 3.30-5. Slept 5-5.40.  I usually feed twice around 10/11 and 2/3. He's cut back on night feeds to one side breastfeed only instead of both.

More usual than the long NW is early waking. This week he's woken between 4.20 and 4.45 for the day most days. I've tried for 40+ mins at least til past 5 (normal wake up) to no avail.

Last night I initially fed him at 3.30. Sang outside his door/played white noise. After half hour offered him other side just in case he took and initially seemed sleepier but complained when put down. Another 20 mins of humming/white noise initially outside his room then next to him as he was getting more upset and waking OH and DD so I needed to shut his door and be in his room. The I have him calpol in case of teeth. Then after over an hour resorted to AP and sat him on my lap (hates being cradled) against me facing away in the dark gently singing. Went quiet and went back to bed. I stayed next to him silent  a while more. Slipped away. 40 mins more sleep.

Re naps I've found a short/long or vice Versa seems best. Two long naps and his nights are worse!
DD jan 2008
DS August 2013

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 76
Re: EWs getting earlier or long Nw?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 21:48:29 pm »
That sounds like a rotten night. We've had lots of long horrid nw's here too and like you, no teeth, but lots of symptoms of teething. If she doesn't settle after her nf, I'll give her ibuprofen after about 15 minutes, then feed her again (I know, I know) and fx that's been doing the trick.

As far as your early mornings...  What time do you want him to get up and what times are your school runs?  I ask because I think his first nap is too early. I felt rotten doing it, but the only way I can cope with Medi's ew is to really delay her first nap. It's 10 am now - no earlier. I do one short and one long nap as well. Personally I'd prefer the am one to be longer but some days it's the shorter one.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 21:51:38 pm »
Oh - and I know they say early bedtime but if I put Medi down too early it just seems to reinforce the ew - she never sleeps more than 11.5 hours at night - often it's 11 - so if she was going to bed at 6:30 she'd almost certainly ew at 5:30, because by then she'd had her 11 hours and that would be enough.

Offline KookyK

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 05:25:38 am »
Thanks Sarah! I think you're right about EBTs I think Hugh is also an 11-11.5 hour boy whatever has happened during the day.

School run is 8.30-9.15 or 9.20. I can't keep him awake I've tried!! Esp if he's up at 5. If I transfer him if he fell asleep at 9 or after he might sleep at home but if he went to sleep earlier I can't resettle him at home. I'd like him up at 6 ideally but I'd take earlier if he slept thru!! He seems to work best with a short nap followed by long. Last time he had two long naps we had a bad night I think it was too much sleep.

His tooth has just about come thru the gum which explains a lot.

I will try the nurofen idea at the EW. If he doesn't resettle I often offer a bit more milk too. Ill do anything a 4am onwards!
DD jan 2008
DS August 2013

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 13:21:13 pm »
Just to make you feel better, Medi woke up today at 4:30!!  I gave her neurofen and fed her (twice) but no dice. Of course, I had an errand this morning so she fell asleep in the car from 9-9:30. She's having a monster nap now - put her down at 12 and she's still sleeping now at 2:20. So I'm going to have to not follow my own advice and put her to bed early lol. I'm blaming jet lag, she only slept four hours on Friday night :o on the Plane and is desperately ot :(. So I guess it's special circumstances. Idk what to suggest about your ds. I really think his first nap needs to be later.  By now he could have trained himself to be tired at 8:30 because he's napped at that time for so long. What do you think?

Offline KookyK

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 15:50:09 pm »
It's quite likely he's in a habit of 8.30 as I have stuck to it whatever time he's up 4.30, 5.30 etc. but the 15 mins car ride each way and buggy ride of about 10 mins is all so soporific. Have tried toys and DD screeching at him! On the way home without her I'm done for! So hard I don't know how to change him.

Today I kept him awake from nap wake at 9.20 and he didnt sleep next til 1. Woke up after 30 mins. He's having a short cat nap now so I don't have to put him to bed before 6.30. Argh!!
DD jan 2008
DS August 2013