Author Topic: Tempted to stop, please help...:/  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« on: June 15, 2014, 14:12:34 pm »
This weekend is difficult as I am struggling with proper EASY and sleep regression/OT but another problem I have is breast feeding:(.

I am feeding DS not just after wake up from naps as we have more AEAS routine. I am feeding at 7, 11, 15, 17:30/18:00 and 19:15 after bath, naps are in between but not just before feed time. He usually shows hunger cues (cry, fussiness) 5-10 min before feeding hour and I usually need 5 min to prepare myself and will feed him. And... It starts...
He frantically sucks first boob for 5-7 min (when feeding him after wakeup he drinks slower and may take 10-13min to empty the boob). Than he unlatches and start to fuss so I do breast compression, he takes 1-2more min on this boob and once again fuss so I change the breast. And he latches like hell but after 1-2min start to cry like there is nothing there! Latch, suck and cry! I offer once again and he frantically latch, try to suck and cry! I usually stand up, walk with him latched, rock him during BF so he starts to suck (not actively) but as soon as I stop walking/rocking he unlatches and cries! So I put him down and he usually calms down ... So I think "maybe not hungry"... It seems crazy as previous feed was 4h before and he sucked only for 5-6min. And usually I try to offer him a bottle afterwards. He usually wasn't taking one so that confirmed my judgment that maybe he is not hungry.
And today he took bottle. And drank 90ml of formula:(.
What's wrong??!! I am really discouraged:(((.
~Marta

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 14:19:35 pm »
Listening in. DS isn't a happy feeder, either, unless half asleep, just before sleep. We now feed to sleep for each nap and that is the only time he feeds well.  :-\

The 90ml of formula is actually very little and doesn't indicate that he is still hungry though, Martii, they suck out of reflex. When it is 300 ml, then there is something wrong.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Tempted to stop, please help...:/
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 14:32:50 pm »
At that age they can become very effecient feeders - my oldest DD always fed in 5 min and was able to get what she needed. I would go by his cues - if he can last the usual amount of time, has plenty of wet diapers and is happy/satisfied after a feed then he is most likely getting exactly what he needs.
Heidi

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 14:34:16 pm »
If i remember rightly you recently went to a 4 hrly feeding routine, and it was a pretty fast change due to leap in A times. Plus recent STTN?

Wonder if you have had a dip in supply as it has all happened pretty fast  :-\.

Are the naps getting messy as well??

They can also become more awake and more distract able at this age, making day feeds a mess, and bringing NFs back  ::) ::).

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 15:20:51 pm »
Ok, so:
- if something is working here, it is naps; 1.5-2h without a peep if I have a correct A time
- I went to 4h easy in terms of feeding very gradually started 5-6w ago firstly from 3:30, than 3:45 and now 4:00 breaks; I am pretty sure that there is no problem with supply as if I pump the breast he doesn't want, I get plenty of milk
- regarding STTN I feed him once at night from when he was 6wo with this difference that now I pump for DF at 10-11pm (getting about 100-120ml) and before it was a feed around 4-5am.

If I was to trust my instincts I would say that either he is not hungry (that kind of thing happened couple of times, I always offered a bottle ie with just pumped milk and he always refused it; that's the first time he took anything) or he is hungry and want let down but there is not let down in second boob...? Is that even possible? Or distraction...?

I am afraid that its problem with LD in second boob as when I feed him at 6pm and than 7:15 he usually fusses and cries at 7:15 until manage to provoke let down and than he is happy to eat.

Yesss so generally I hate those feeds:( it's stressful and not pleasant experience:(.
~Marta

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 16:59:54 pm »
H went through fussy patch. Think she was frustrated waiting for second let down but now she seems fine again.  It lasted a week or so I think.  She's much better if I can feed her when she's relaxed eg at BT and straight after naps but like you we often do AEAS.. If it's nearly 4hrs though might be worth trying feeding on WU from nap though to see if that helps?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 22:01:38 pm »
As Cath suggests why don't you feed on wake up from naps if he eats better then?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 10:09:54 am »
As pps said, bear in mind he might just have become a more efficient feeder.  Try feeding him on WU and don't worry if it seems short to you, it's perfectly possible that he's having a full feed in 5 mins!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Fede

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 08:11:24 am »
Hi!
My son eats from the two breasts, five minutes each and he is growing up so I think you shouldn't worry about it if he grows.
He also cries when wants me to change breast or when he doesn't want to eat anymore. I see it because he stops moaning when I take him up on the shoulder for the 'ruttino'.
If you give him the formula I think there's the risk that you'll give up with breast feeding (this is only my opinion).
Fede