Author Topic: 3.5 months old sleep issues  (Read 1015 times)

Offline rshobanaa

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
3.5 months old sleep issues
« on: June 18, 2014, 06:26:51 am »
My LO is 17 weeks old and is breast fed every 3 hrs. He feeds for abt 7 mins only on one side and refuses to feed more. If forced, he just bites. His naps are very sporadic. But generally he get 5 naps. First nap is 1 hr. Second one is 90 mins and next 3 naps are 30 mins or less. Longer naps are normally extended after 40 mins with sh/pat, overall he sleeps for 3.5 to 4 hrs a day. His bedtime is at 9 pm. (I try for a earlier bedtime but he wakes up in 10 mins). His A time is 2 hrs in the morning and am not able to stretch it further as he becomes OT. In the evenings his A time 2.5 hrs. I use sh/pat to put him to sleep and I normally dont have much difficulty in putting him to sleep after his aforesaid A time. Even though his naps are short he is normally pleasant and seems happy after each feed. (I thought maybe I have supply issues, but no!) I talk to him during his A time, sometimes take a walk. In the beginning of the A time he rolls over and plays with toys. We dont use a prop or lovie till now. His last feed before bedtime is at 8.30 pm. At night he awakes first at 12.30 am. He feeds and sleeps immediately. The next feed is at 3.30 am. Some days after the feed he is fussy and sleeps till 5.30 am, only when I pat him some days. Other days he just wakes up. If he wakes he starts playing and settles to sleep only after 2 hrs for 40 mins. He is awake at 6.10 am. He plays initially on his own for 1/2 hr, then cries. If I get and try to settle him, he starts playing like during the day. Efforts to put him to sleep till the end of 2 hr is futile. I try to sh/pat as always to settle him after 2 hrs which works normally. With small naps during the day and early morning wakings and very tired :-(

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: 3.5 months old sleep issues
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 03:03:18 am »
At 3.5months, we were doing 3-4 naps with around 11-12hrs at night. Rather than offering him the 5th nap, I would aim for an earlier bedtime. Do you have a bedtime routine? With a wake up time of 6am, I would aim for bedtime around 7pm, depending on when he's had last nap too. If you have a bedtime routine and keep everything in the evening low key and no lights, etc... he will learn that its night time. You're getting 2 good naps (morning and afternoon) and you could probably get away with one more nap (short 30-45min catnap) and try for earlier bedtime. Is he able to go to sleep on his own or do you need to shh/pat until he's asleep?

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline rshobanaa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 06:42:54 am »
I've tried (still trying) to advance his bedtime. Each day I try to put him to sleep at 7pm, but he just wakes up in 30 mins and starts playing. I take him to bed and follow the same routine, change hisdiaper and dress. Switch on the night lamps..same routine which I follow at 9pm. But still he wakes up at 30 mins. Its more like a night waking. But he get back to sleep only after 1.5 hrs

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 10:32:14 am »
So when he wakes after 30mins, can you just leave him in the cot and if he starts to cry, go in and shh/pat? or have you tried that and he cries for 1.5hrs?

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline rshobanaa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 16:19:14 pm »
I've tried to watch without him knowing... he starts playing after 30 mins...after playing for about 10 mins he starts crying...once i come in and sat sh/pat he just resists that and starts playing,.. i';ve now tried and advanced bt to 8pm..but he has advanced his night waking by 1 hr..he starts fussing by 2pm and he is awake by 5 am. :-(