Author Topic: 4 month old short naps and screaming at bedtime  (Read 1253 times)

Offline beanbuddy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 month old short naps and screaming at bedtime
« on: June 24, 2014, 16:43:25 pm »

hi, my 4 month old has suddenly started screaming at bedtime. he is fine for most of his bedtime routine but as soon as I put him down to sleep in his cot he starts getting really irritated and within about 10 minutes is screaming. he has been like this for the past 5 nights now, and is taking around 2 hours to finally get him settled, even then this is by rocking him to sleep. we only started him on a bedtime routine about 4 weeks ago and he has always gone to sleep fine. sometimes he would take a while to settle but never screaming like the past few nights.

also, his daytime naps are quite short, he only sleeps for about 30 Min's at a time during the day, on a good day he might have one longer nap of around 1.5 hours in the afternoon but this doesn't happen often. I'm wondering if the short naps may be affecting his nightime sleeping? although he has never been very good with naps but still slept well on a night. ???

he is also waking up constantly through the night and crying, I've tried feeding him and he just seems to carry on crying after this. nothing seems to settle him back to sleep. we've resorted to putting him in his pushchair and pushing him up and down the past couple of nights but even in his pram he doesn't settle for more than an hour before he's awake crying again. :(

I am bf on demand so we don't really have a strict routine but I generally try to get him down for a nap after he has been awake for 1.5-2hrs, although he doesn't always go to sleep after this amount of time.

please help, not exactly sure how to get through this  :'(

Offline rshobanaa

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 4 month old short naps and screaming at bedtime
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 17:27:06 pm »
I had these issues with my 4 month old. but things are little better now after I increased his A time 2 hr 15 mins. I got two long naps in the day- one for 1 hr and another for 50 mins. Before he used to nap for 30 mind or less and took 4\5 naps a day. As for night screamings...I think its more of growth spurt. Of my God. I had his screaming for 10 days and it was more difficult s my 5 yr old daughter would wake up. Everytime I had to settle 2 of them. Thank God he nightmare is over for now. Even now my LO sleeps for less than 12 hrs a day. Patience is the key I guess

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 09:22:55 am »
Was he able to put himself to sleep or did you have to help him? I agree pushing A times can help as it may be that he's not tired enough to go to sleep. 1.5hrs is probably too low for him...

Could you post what the last couple of days have been like EAS?

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline bongabees

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • *Also known as Anna*
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 13:38:33 pm »
My LO is 4.5 months and also started doing this at BT a few weeks ago. I think it is because she is OT and OS. I tried a longer WD Routine and shorter A time before bed. Doesn't always work, but possibly with short naps your LO is OT by the end of the day?