Author Topic: Fruit in packed lunches  (Read 3499 times)

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Fruit in packed lunches
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 08:26:21 am »
If you cut an apple in sections you can reassemble it, hold it together with a couple of rubber bands (CHOKE HAZARD!!) and it look slike a whole apple. OT (because of aforementioned CHOKE HAZARD) but pretty cool trick 8)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 18:30:56 pm »
haha! Anna! lol

Thought I'd had an amazing idea today - cherries as I have a cherry pitter - until I realised that they are still small and round and considered a choke hazard. Think I was tired  ::)

What is it with all these choke hazards? Maybe they could spend some time in nursery learning how to eat without choking instead of cutting everything up into slithers  :P

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 22:14:21 pm »
I saw a cool trick where you put the grapes etc on a plate. Put another plate on top and then use a sharp knife to cut through between the plates. Then they are all chopped in half with one cut. Haven't tried it as I don't cut anything like that but looked easy.

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 01:59:29 am »
So when you put fruit back together does it just slow down from turning brown?

I've never done it but I know you can soak apple slices in things like heathlty apple juice or lemon juice to slow down browning process.

What about watermelon?  It's already wet.

When we used to cut grapes we would use a scissors.

I usually pack fruit that doesn't stain. ;)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 07:34:51 am »
Are you sure they are slicing his food because they view it as a choke hazard and it isn't that someone just thought they were being helpful that day by cutting it into bite-sized pieces for him? Maybe that is why he didn't eat it. I can't imagine anyone cutting green beans and baby corn because of fears he would choke,yk?

You could do that trick with the apple and just wrap it tightly in cling film rather than using a rubber band :)

What about a kiwi cut in half and put back together and a spoon to scoop it out with?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 10:38:44 am »
It could have been a one-off but I doubt it. They have the same staff all day, so the 2 key workers for the room also eat their lunch with the kids, they don't have a different supervisor for lunch time. I'd expect they'd either always do it or never, not just once.
Besides, he leaves there at the end of this week but the new nursery in September definitely have the grapes-cut-in-half rule. Although they haven't yet posted out the lunch rules to me I know parents who already have kids there who know the lunch policy and now slice grapes and cherry toms since receiving a complaint letter from the school when they didn't slice them.

I was thinking kiwi and spoon too Ali, not sure DS would have the patience to dig it out with a spoon but I'm going to try it over the summer break.