Author Topic: Play kitchen 'food'  (Read 1998 times)

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Play kitchen 'food'
« on: July 31, 2014, 15:11:13 pm »
Audrey inherited a whole whack of play kitchen accessories - fruits, veggies, salads, yoghurt tubs etc. But seriously all she plays with is the kettle and tea cups (making cups of tea for people), and the birthday cake (bringing it out, singing happy birthday, cutting slices, handing them out). Do you think she'll expand into fruits and veggies? Thinking about chucking all the rest of the stuff out because all it does is add to the mess!

Offline Aishi

• Showing Appreciation 105
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 15:40:00 pm »
Lol listening in. Afiya is exactly the same! Only plays with tea set and cake. The rest she chucks out of the fridge onto the floor- in disgust I'm sure!
aishi :)

Offline Mattsmummy

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 15:53:31 pm »
We have a whole set that M doesn't use but when his girl cousins are over they LOVE to play "Grocery Store" they walk around and pick what they are going to buy LOL...it's pretty funny actually....

Does she have a little baby doll stroller she could pretend is a shopping cart?
"But the fighter still remains"

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Play kitchen 'food'
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 16:36:32 pm »
L has a fair amount of plastic play food too but really doesn't use it.  She much prefers cooking wij buttons plus a few herbs picked from the garden!  And she has some wooden cakes and a cake stand which she loves to use for tea parties.   The plastic food is in the attic at the moment (I rotated it out cos it wasn't being used much) so I will bring it down again in a bit and see if she likes it more .

Actually, I just remembered, she did quite enjoy playing shops with it a while ago. But yeah, not cooking / eating games.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 16:56:16 pm »
Mine put food onto plates and into little metal pans, but cups and saucers was more common before. Has she got a kitchen and pans?? They did play with wooden cakes as well.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 16:59:22 pm »
I would just reduce it and put it out of rotation until she's older. Like pp said playing shopping is great, a little trolly or a basket, a cash till, shopping list paper and pen, shop receipts that you save from your own shopping etc, all add up to great role play stuff that she might just not be interested in just yet but will in the future. I'd chuck out any recycled packaging stuff though as you can always collect stuff in the future if needed.

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 18:34:36 pm »
DS has played with the toy food since 3.5yo - he likes to mix it together in a bowl, or put it out on various plates for the cuddly toys when he's playing 'cafes'  ;D

Before that he wasn't really bothered! I'd put it into storage and bring it out again when she's a bit older  :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 19:56:06 pm »
Olly has played with his for a couple of years now. Agree to maybe just keep some it in case she wants to play shops or cooking with it.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 19:58:18 pm »
Or chuck it all and use real food if she does expand her play! Am talking tins of beans etc for shops and dried lentils, beans etc for cooking. Olly LOVES to play mixing, pouring spooning with cheap bags of lentils or whatever was cheapest at the time! I get a tray with a lip, plastic bowls and spoons and let him go  :)

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 20:37:32 pm »
I wanted to say "keep them all" but I have decluttering (or lack there of) problem :P  Or put them together with playdoh that she uses the food as moulds! haha

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 20:49:57 pm »
The girls were never really that interested in the play food (on and off, but not hugely) until recently when they set up a restaurant with a menu and a table for us to sit and eat at - and huge arguments over who was chef and who was waitress! I would put it aside for later, as it does seem to have lots of potential.