Author Topic: breakfast ideas?  (Read 2606 times)

Offline haribo89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: August 09, 2014, 13:07:53 pm »
my 25mo dd has always been a fussy eater, I put it down to reflux and I think she worries it will cause problems, usually we can't get any brekfast into her, small amount of lunch and she will normally have a good dinner. I dont stress to much about lunch but would like her to have a decent breakfast but nothing we have offered has worked, she will occasionally nibble on some toast or crumpets but wont touch porridge or cereal, what else could we try?

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 13:50:02 pm »
For breakfast we do eggs (scrambled), pancakes, French toast, waffles, toast.  My youngest likes to wander for breakfast so she sometimes has a cereal bar and a yogurt smoothie.  Yogurt and dry cereal is a favorite here and bananas covered in peanut butter and dipped in rice krispies.  I also a make a banana ice cream (freeze banana, but in a blender with some milk blend and you have soft serve banana ice cream.  I top it with granola or dried cereal both girls gobble this up.

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 15:28:18 pm »
 We did french toast often....on really hearty bread. Add cinnamon to the egg mixture, and a splash of vanilla....! Cut into strips and give her apple butter or syrup to dip into. Presentation is key sometimes.   ;) 
 I'd make really hearty and wholesome muffins too...banana was a fave, but also pumpkin or apple....there are lots of wholesome recipes out there with wheat flour....we toss ground flax into every recipe too. A couple of mini muffins with some yogurt and fruit always went over well.  Still does!   :)

Some kids, they don't like to eat as soon as they wake up....have you tried waiting a bit? 

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
Re: breakfast ideas?
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 18:05:04 pm »
Some kids, they don't like to eat as soon as they wake up....have you tried waiting a bit? 
I have one of these.  She used to barely eat any breakfast when I tried it earlier in the morning, ie when I thought she 'should' be eating.  But now I wait until she asks for breakfast and she'll eat a decent amount (this morning cooked sausage, egg and tomatoes), and it doesn't affect her lunch portion either, she'll still eat another good meal.  Sometimes I would still prefer it if she would eat earlier, like when we have somewhere to be mid-morning and it's difficult to get food into her before we go out, but then I can usually get her to at least have a yogurt or something before we go and just make sure I have fruit and snacks with me.
Emma

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 18:28:18 pm »
Quote from: We Three on Today at 16:28:18

I have one of these.
Me too. Milk about 30-40 mins after WU and another 45 mins to 1.5hrs later for proper breakfast.

Mainly things already mentioned. Pancakes, omelet (I whisk a tsp of ketchup in the egg before cooking), sausages, french toast.
Mostly it's either toddler muesli (I cannot believe he still eats that but it tastes good and is fortified and prob healthier than most regular cereals and he refuses porridge or other cereals anyway) or omelet.

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 00:31:47 am »
Just curious creations - what is toddler muesli? My 3 year old DD still eats baby cereal oatmeal. She won't eat regular oatmeal but loves the baby cereal oatmeal.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 07:03:36 am »
It's probably a similar thing. The one we get is labelled at 10 months+ so it's not really a 'baby' cereal and is not totally ground down, people following the traditional puree weaning method wouldn't give it to a 6 month old which is why I said 'toddler' (just that bit older and moving towards proper meals). It has a range of cereals rather than just oats though.
http://www.cowandgate.co.uk/article/my-first-muesli

Offline zeri

• Showing Appreciation 55
    • coffeebeing
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 13:48:48 pm »
DS isn't a breakfast eater first thing in the morning (neither am I ) and DD doen't like dinner, but will eat a good breakfast.  We do crepes a lot - they are fast easy and can be filled with anything. They likes Nutella, WowButter, or sliced apples with cinnamon, DD also likes it with salmon and hoisin sauce and DS will have chicken salad. We have a 'no Nutella on weekdays' rule though - those days we are often hurried and breakfast is cereal (they like it dry) and fruit, hardboiled eggs, or pancakes. They both LOVE potato pancakes but those have so much oil and salt that it is a special treat.
~Lisa~
http://fivecentcandy.wordpress.com/
http://coffeebeing.blogspot.ca/

Spirited Gigglet 2008         Sweet Pickle 2010

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 15:07:39 pm »
Oatmeal, toast with peanut putter or jam, waffles, eggs of any kind (scrambled, fried, omelet), french toast, granola bar & yogurt, cereal with or without milk, and lots and lots of fruit. My DS doesn't like to eat first thing in the morning either.

Offline haribo89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 19:18:59 pm »
thank you all, ive a few new things to try, im not 100% convinced its because of the time, shes very dubious about all foods and more so if there on a spoon? which quite a few breakfast things are, she always has done best with finger food like toast and crumpets but gets bored, I think we will give pancakes and muffins a try to start.
Thanks again for you your ideas.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 21:10:16 pm »
The toddler muesli I use can be made into finger food, it's what I used to make for DS (he's only recently started eating it thinner from a spoon). I mixed with a very small amount of milk, let it thicken a little (just 1 min or so) then roll into balls to be picked up.
There's also a recipe for porridge fingers knocking around somewhere if you were interested in that?
Or there's an oven baked oaty chew (like a flap jack but zero sugar/honey/syrup) on the baby finger foods recipe board (my 3yo still loves them) which is made from oats and fruit but it's like a dry cereal bar for picking up.