Author Topic: Routine Help: 3wks old feeding every hour  (Read 872 times)

Offline BEHBII

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Routine Help: 3wks old feeding every hour
« on: August 09, 2014, 18:43:27 pm »
I was told to feed on demand, but feeding on demand for this baby is every hour. He doesn't tend to fall asleep on his own even when I put him down when I've seen his sleepy cues.

How do I implement the EASY routine with him and extend his feed time?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Routine Help: 3wks old feeding every hour
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 07:32:10 am »
Hi and welcome,

(((Hugs))), you must be exhausted!  It is normally for BF babies to feed frequently in the early days, but it's unlikely really that he could be truly hungry every hour unless there are issues with feeding.  Have you had his latch checked?  Do you have any pain on feeding?  Does he have reflux or any medical problems?  Any concerns about milk supply?

If all the above are fine, it's likely that he is getting tired rather than hungry after an hour (typical awake time for newborns is up to an hour max) and is wanting to suck for comfort.  Perhaps instead of offering a feed, maybe 45 mins or so after he has woken, try swaddling and settling him for a nap.  Even before you see tired signs (often it's too late by that point).  Don't worry that he can't sleep independently yet - that's a skill that comes with time.  You can try using shh pat or just hold/rock/do whatever given he's so little.  And see if that helps stretch his feeds out a touch :)

Offline BEHBII

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Routine Help: 3wks old feeding every hour
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 15:29:19 pm »
Thanks Jessmum46! You were right on the bullseye. I considered reflux and low milk supply. I'm leaning towards the milk supply. I'm taking fenugreek and feeding frequently to let it build. Hoping that'll help extend the feed time!