Author Topic: Milk intake  (Read 1692 times)

Offline LizzyG

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 15, 2014, 04:22:47 am »
My baby's doctor recommended stopping bottles between her 12 and 15 month appointments. I've gotten her completely on cow milk and beginning to move her toward sippy cups. My question is, do you still keep track of how much your toddler is drinking or do you just pour a cup of milk and refill if/when it's gone? Also, do you give milk with your toddler's meals? I'm thinking my girl may fill up on the milk over the food.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Milk intake
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 06:22:38 am »
Yes I'd still keep track of what she drinks so you can check she isn't taking too much at the expense of solid food.
Yes milk is a drink rather than food now.  Many people still give a cup of milk at morning wake up if you would prefer to stick with those times.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 07:57:23 am »
I kept a larger morning milk drink (with a straw as he wouldn't take that amount from a sippy at that age) and a smaller milk drink (in a sippy) in the evening, only water at snack and meal times.  I only really watched the amount of the morning milk then made a rough guess of how much cheese and other dairy he had across an average day/week.

Offline LizzyG

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 04:11:26 am »
My daughter also really enjoys a straw cup. Today she drank 6oz out of it during snack! Yesterday I gave her a yogurt for snack instead of the milk. I have been having trouble finding full fat yogurt though. Would it be terrible to give her nonfat yogurt? It still has the calcium and she gets fat from other foods she eats.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 08:42:40 am »
The guides in the UK are to only give full fat milk and foods until age 2, then semi-skimmed milk can be given. At 5yo low-fat or no-fat foods can be given if weight gain and food variety/amount is good (for convenience lower fat milks and dairy can be used in cooking as it isn't the main food)
I personally wouldn't give a nonfat yoghurt unless it was something you just used in cooking as it will fill her tummy and not give the fat and calories that are needed unless it was a very small serving along with fruit or something so it isn't filling her up.  I think I'd rather give a milk drink or some cheese at snack time, or something non-dairy like a cracker or fruit?
Mine couldn't have yoghurt as it made his reflux flare up, I sometimes stirred up some cream cheese (to make it slacken) instead and served it with some fruit, he called it 'cream' and loved it.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 15:44:09 pm »
No I wouldn't give non-fat yogurt regularly either for all the reasons creations mentioned. Strange you can't buy full fat ??? Not sure where you are but here many of the Greek or natural yogurts are full fat (10%) and you can also get the children's yogurts if you are happy to give the kind with sugar. Some have only natural sugars from fruit.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 15:57:53 pm »
I have trouble getting full fat yogurt too...hazard of rural living and the fact that a lot of stores here seem to really promote the zero fat stuff. I try to stock up when I find it! I've considered making my own but just do not have the time.
Heidi

Offline LizzyG

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 17:58:50 pm »
I go to a smaller store because it's closer. They definitely don't have full fat, the only kid yogurt they have comes in a tube and is neon colored :-X. Actually, they only even sell whole milk by the half gallon. I'll have to go to the larger store, they must have it! I've never eaten Greek yogurt. Is it pretty similar to regular yogurt? Homemade yogurt sounds interesting, may need to look into that!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 18:01:40 pm »
Yes it is just like really thick natural yogurt. It's delish!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 22:19:39 pm »
Greek yogurt is my favourite, so thick and creamy. I am not a big fan of yogurt but greek is like dessert to me!
Heidi