Author Topic: Time to stop cluster feeds?  (Read 1127 times)

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Time to stop cluster feeds?
« on: August 18, 2014, 21:29:12 pm »
Ds clusters for several hours a night and I thought they grew out of it but now I've heard and read a little that we should stop it around 8 weeks.  How do I do this?  Ds is wearing me out cluster feeding on and off for sometime 6 hrs!!! But I wasn't sure since his adjusted age is only 3 weeks if I need to hold off. Sorry for hijacking the breastfeeding board!!!!

[/url]

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 07:22:31 am »
In my opinion it is to your judgement.

When my DS was 12wo he needed cluster feeding as after feed at 4pm he was hungry at 6/6:30. Moreover he ate more thanks to that as took both breast at 6pm and needed big top up at 7pm. When fed only at 7pm, he took both breasts and I felt like he is still hungry.
However when he was 16/17wo and we were on 4h EASY with cluster feeds in the evening, it back fired for us. Feed at 6pm was not big, but he was not yet hungry at 7/7:30pm so in result he took less milk before BT than if doing one BT feed.

HTH:)
~Marta

Offline 1stimer

Re: Time to stop cluster feeds?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 13:20:48 pm »
Strangely enough the past two nights his cluster feeding has been more like the book than before ie closer to every 2 hrs. Previously his cluster feeding meant he was literally on the boob for 6 hrs...feed for 3-4 min off for maybe 15 back on for 3-4...it was rough. Im trying to keep him on the 2 hr cluster bc he has gone down around 745 both nights and ill DF him around 930 and go to bed myself. Before he was up from his afternoon nap around 430 0r 530 and wouldn't go back down until sometimes 1130 or even as late as 1 am...it was crazy! Fingers crossed this little bit of a (dare I say it) ~schedule~ holds up!!!

[/url]

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 15:03:32 pm »
Fx for you:)))!
~Marta

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 18:33:17 pm »
I would expect him to go by adjusted age for quite a bit longer so 3wo is still very young to drop the cluster.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 02:48:16 am »
Yes Ali that's what I was thinking as well...I think im just going to have to follow his lead with a lot of things. Some things he does right on track, like he has been smiling and cooing at us for 2 weeks now, but obviously his weight is on track with his adjusted age. Again tonight he didn't show interest in clustering like he was before but he just kept up with his every 2 hr feeds...he actually went to every hr at 3, 4, and 5, ate again at 7, fell asleep at 730 and I just did his dream feed at 930.

[/url]