Author Topic: Please can you help - 2 year old waking 6 times a night  (Read 947 times)

Offline auntsally

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Please can you help - 2 year old waking 6 times a night
« on: August 20, 2014, 06:21:40 am »
Hi, I really hope you can give me some advice, our 2 year old is waking six times a night  since Christmas, he used to go until 2am ish, he will scream and scream until he gets a bottle, goes maybe 1 and half hours then up again, I know its association with the bottle, he eats well in day, and I have tried putting water in bottle , reducing the amont, or giving him sippy cup with soft teat, but he wont have it and we are so tired we give him the bottle, he doesnt have a nap in he day anymore either, he just uns around his room, and when we put him down at night after his bath, he runs around, and we put him straight back in to bed without saying anything and he laughs.  We have neighbours both sides, god knows what they think when he is crying at night, I am at my wits end. Please can you help with some advice, thanks

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Please can you help - 2 year old waking 6 times a night
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 08:38:34 am »
I'm afraid you will need to wean the bottle. At 2yo he doesn't need it any more, and you might be best going cold turkey without it.

I would warn the neighbours in advance so that they are prepared for some crying! He will be upset, but if you are consistent then he will get it much more quickly.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline auntsally

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 09:35:53 am »
Thanks for your reply MJ&N,

In the day he is fine and has a normal cup (not sippy), and unfortunately one of our neighbours  is a holiday home and has different people there every week, how long do you think it would take to break the habbit please,

Thanks

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 10:32:04 am »
It really depends how consistent you are. A week should be plenty.

I would offer a sippy/cup with a lid of water instead to leave by his bed in case he is thirsty. I'd explain in advance that he is a big boy who doesn't need a bottle any more,maybe explain about the damage to his teeth and what will be happening. Then I would just resettle him without the bottle, reminding him that he only has water now. Don't leave him to cry alone even if you are just standing by the door with repeated comforting words. Once you start do not give in as that will make it a much longer process next time. So make sure you are committed and can see it through before you begin.

Are you in the room when he falls asleep at BT? If so I would work on getting out of the room before he is asleep. If not then you can just treat the NWs as you do BT.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline auntsally

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 11:38:14 am »
Thanks *Ali*, just so tired, need to work up energy to do this, doesn't help I'm 43 :-[, thanks for your advice, moral support will definately help us,

Thanks