Author Topic: argh - can't get my 2mo onto a 3 hr EASY because he won't nap for long enough!!  (Read 1012 times)

Offline francescasb

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
my nearly 2 mo baby is still feeding every 2 -2.5hrs day and night. I cant seem to get him onto a 3 hr schedule. Overnight he wakes up every 2 hours or so (best stretch is 2hr40) and during the day he only naps for 30-45 mins at a time and wakes up cranky, so I never manage to go the full 3 hours before feeding him again.

He has 'silent reflux' which meant that I was told at his 1 month check up to feed him little and often (only one side at a time every couple of hours), but I feel like he should be improving a bit now. He weighs over 12lbs so he must be capable of taking in more and going longer. He decides when he's full and then won't take any more, so I can't suddenly up the amount I feed him.

Any tips gratefully received, I'm starting to go quietly insane!!  :-\
British ex-pat mummy to DD (July 09) and DS (July 14)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Is his reflux medicated? If that's not under control it will affect his sleep and ability to settle, as well as his ability to go longer between feeds. Refluxy babies often feed frequently to soothe the acid burning. Unsettled nights and short naps are also very common, and a lot of mums report 8-10 weeks as a time when reflux gets worse rather than better. My first suggestion would be to get the reflux sorted out and then when he's comfortable, he may start feeding and sleeping better without you having to do much at all.

Offline francescasb

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Thanks Katherine... The doctor gave me some infant antacid when he was younger and it didn't seem to make a difference, so I stopped giving it to him. I might start it up again if the reflux could potentially get worse. I thought it was the case that the older they got the better it got!...
British ex-pat mummy to DD (July 09) and DS (July 14)

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
My super-fluxer outgrew it around 4 months or so, at which time we weaned off the Zantac. Also - if you do try it again, make sure you're giving your LO the dosage for his current weight; they need more as they grow! :)

Hope this helps!