Author Topic: Shorten nap(s) or shorten night?  (Read 960 times)

Offline RebekahDSC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: September 06, 2014, 03:35:49 am »
J has been doing 3 hr 5 min a times for a while now but it seems like he needs another push in his a times. However, this will require cutting back on his total sleep, and I'm trying to decide whether it is better to shorten his nap(s) or shorten his night. Here is his current routine:

WU 9:00
Nap 12:05-1:35
Nap 4:40-6:10
BT 9:15

So we could either cut the second nap (or both naps?) or else move to a slightly shorter night. Any thoughts on which route is better? Thanks!

Offline Honeymonster

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 14:47:58 pm »
Hiya. I don't have an answer for you I'm afraid but I'm in a similar situation with my LO on a very similar easy only we've had one nap of an hour and one of two hours but it sometimes makes for a long day if the A times go over. I don't have a wise answer but personally I'm thinking about cutting naps to protect the nighttime... Once I get the naps more consistent that is as we're stuck in a bit of an Ut/ OT cycle just now due to there needing to be a push in A time I think, we've also had bed bedtimes for a while. How old is your LO? Mine is 7months exactly but has always had quite long A times for her age.. I just can't seem to keep up with the changes before they happen,

Good luck

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Shorten nap(s) or shorten night?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 17:45:29 pm »
I'd go for a shorter pm nap and regular BT but you might find your LO has another opinion!  You may find for instance that he really does not do well, fussing and so on, with a shorter nap and actually does better with the 2 naps of 1.5hrs and a slightly later BT.
If keeping BT the same suits you then try it out for a week or two as you increase the A time, you can always switch later if needed.

This is one of those times when the routine really is dependent on the individual needs.  Some like a shorter morning nap, longer afternoon nap, some the other way around and some do better with 2 longer naps and a slightly shorter night for a while before capping one of the naps.  I wouldn't cap both as a 1.5hr nap is more restorative than a shorter nap, so keep 1 long nap plus 1 CN.

hth

Offline RebekahDSC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 21:10:31 pm »
Thank you for the replies!

Honeymonster, thanks for sharing your experience! My ds is 7.5 months.  I know what you mean about keeping up with the changes! Good luck!

Creations, thank you for the great advice! We are trying the route of shortening the pm nap by 15 min. Do you suggest doing a shorter a time after that shorter nap than during the rest of the day? I was picturing this:
WU 9:00
Nap 12:10-1:40
Nap 4:50- 6:05
BT 9:00

What do you think?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Shorten nap(s) or shorten night?
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 20:00:39 pm »
Sounds like a plan :)

Honestly though, it is (again) all down to the individual, some LOs like a longer last A time and won't settle to bed for the night unless that A is longer than the rest, then again some (mine) like a much shorter last A time, even on 1 nap he did something like 7 to 8hrs A before his nap and only 4hrs after his nap.
I really do think you have a decent plan, you can only try it and see how it goes. Be ready to tweak it but don't chop and change every day or few days or you won't know what works and what doesn't.
Good luck!

Offline Honeymonster

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 13:35:22 pm »
Hey. How's the routine tweak going? Ours is just all over the place due to teething and the last three days she's put herself down to one nap and a long night!  It is way too soon though but just can't consistently seem to find something which fits her. We always end up with 45min naps. I have worked out that she goes to bed best with a shorter last A time. 3-3.10hrs and a longer pm nap.  Although one nap can't be sustainable it's the best she's settled to bed in ages and we've had no screaming after 45mins like usual. So our last three days have gone:
7.45/8-Wake
10.30-rest in the buggy/sling but not asleep
1.45-4 nap
7.20- bed!

I'm so confused