Author Topic: surprise long stretch at night means I should cluster all day?  (Read 968 times)

Offline lrj

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
surprise long stretch at night means I should cluster all day?
« on: September 06, 2014, 15:03:01 pm »
hi ladies,
I have a 2.5 week old who is eating and growing wonderfully but not sleeping quite as well. :) we've been on a mostly 2.5-3 hour easy (depending on what point she wakes up at) for basically her whole life, but she randomly seems to want to eat every 2 hours instead, usually at night. I've assumed it was just growth spurts or still being so little she hadn't quite settled into the routine yet.
however, yesterday my dd1 started her preschool program, so I had to bring her and pick her up and this naturally messed with dd2's routine, so she ended up eating about every 2 hours all day long. she also had pretty bad naps (although not as bad as I expected) and had a (normal) fussy wakeful period from about 7-9pm. but then she had TWO four hour stretches last night! (I'm feeling great!) the third stretch to morning was three hours. I had expected her to wake up every two hours since I would have thought she had "gotten used to it" during the day.
so my question is, does this mean I should try to feed her more often during the day normally? like do you think if I regularly fed her every 2-2.5 hours during the day, she would be able to handle longer stretches at night? maybe she just has a huge appetite and eating every 3 hours doesn't give her enough calories in 24 hours? I suppose the alternate explanation is that she was so tired from the day that she didn't want to wake up for food. but that doesn't sound much like a baby to me...

thanks!
Laura

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: surprise long stretch at night means I should cluster all day?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 15:34:15 pm »
It is certainly possible at this young age that she needs to eat every 2hrs yes. It could just be that her tummy is so small that she cannot take a large enough feed to get enough feeding 3hrly.

There is definitely also the possibility that she just crashed out after the day of poor naps but that would probably be my guess for an older baby.

I'd just follow her cue. If she is waking and waking to feed after 2hrs then I would go with it but I wouldn't wake her if she was still sleeping at the 2hr mark.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011