Author Topic: When to pump?  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Kirsten~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
When to pump?
« on: September 08, 2014, 21:25:56 pm »
DS is 4 weeks, and I go back to work in about 6 weeks. When I had dd, I really regretted not pumping sooner (I waited till the last 2 weeks), so I am trying to get a jump start this time. However, DS is showing symptoms of reflux, so I often cannot put him down for 1-2 hrs after each feed. Well then I don't have much time until the next feed, and I'm concerned if I pump that late then I won't have enough milk for his next feeding. Is that too close? Any ideas? Should I just surrender on this idea until I figure things out with him?

Offline Proud Mammy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: When to pump?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 22:44:54 pm »
I really would try to hold off pumping until past the 6 wk mark when your supply will be better-established for the long term, IYKWIM??
If you start pumping too soon, you could get an issue of over supply, which you're not gonna want with your LO having issues already with reflux.

I'm open to correction on the above - but from my understanding, thus could be the case?

At what ever point you start pumping, I would just say to do so gradually. Introduce a new pumping session only after you feel your body has adjusted to the last one introduced (approx 3 days)

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 01:28:11 am »
I started at 4-5 weeks this time since, like you, I regretted not doing it earlier last time. Just one session a day didn't seem to affect my overall supply too much. I did my extra session an hour or so after the first feed of the day. You still have good supply then. At first I would just get an oz or so but over a week or two it increase to closer to 3. I did that every day until my leave was over at 10 weeks and I had a great freezer stash. Then we moved and it all melted on the drive but that's another story! :'( More pumping sessions for me, lol.

Also, have you heard of Milk Savers? Funny looking contraption that is actually brilliant. I collected lots of milk in that to put in the freezer as well
*Kate*

Offline Kirsten~

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 18:49:27 pm »
Thanks Ladies! I would like to do pumping in the morning too, but it gets a little crazy in the morning with DD needing to get out the door for school. I will try on the days she is home though. I tend to suffer more from over supply than anything, but my dd was also not this big of a baby!

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 19:33:00 pm »
If you pick a time and stick to it, your body should start treating that as another BF and produce more then.
I started pumping at 3 weeks, no regrets. Had a freezer tray full of little packets with BM.