Author Topic: 9.5hr long nights  (Read 2479 times)

Offline AMJ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
9.5hr long nights
« on: September 17, 2014, 11:56:14 am »
Hi again. We are back here again.

DD is over 17m old now and we have been on set times for over a month now. It worked for some time but now her nights are getting really short and she is just exhausted before the nap and before BT.
Set times
Nap at 12:30
BT used to be 8pm now falls asleep 8:15ish. I lay her in the crib at 7:30pm

For the past while her nights started to get shorter and shorter. She makes noises at 5am but manages to resettle. Today she woke up at 5:40am and that's a long way till 12:30 nap.

Her nap is anywhere between 1.5-2.5hrs few times it was 1hr15m. I thought that maybe if her nap if over 2 hrs that caused her to take longer to fall asleep at BT and then a short night but I'm not sure about this anymore. I don't wake her from the nap because previously I did that when she still was on 2 naps and it did more damage then good.

Forgot to mention that she has 1-2hr long NWUs where she either is wide awake or is wakes up and resettled and wakes up and resettled every few mins. This doesn't happens every day but maybe 2 times per week.

I am not sure what to do anymore. Do I stick with set times and just suck it up or should I be changing something? Also I'm not sure what to do with today since she WU at 5:40 am and she would not be able to last till 12:30 nap.

Thanks so much!!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 07:37:16 am by AMJ »

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 9.5hr long nights.... What to do with today?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 17:22:21 pm »
Do the long nw's correspond with the longer nap days at all? Teething at all? How have things been since you posted? My only thought is to do an early nap and ebt or two naps and the same bt.
Heidi

Offline Aishi

• Showing Appreciation 105
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 17:27:53 pm »
18mo SR? We had BT shenanigans that lasted few weeks and were dev. Nothing to do but ride it out!
aishi :)

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 18:12:01 pm »
No, long NWUs don't correspond with longer nap. It doesn't really make sence, few times she had 1hr15m nap and other times she napped for over 2 hrs and still woke up at night. Since I posted this she didn't wake up at night just keeps having short nights and long naps.

I don't see any teeth coming it either.

Oh Gosh, another SR.????

Offline Jodes112

• Showing Appreciation 42
  • You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 18:53:00 pm »
Hi amj i see you are still having those EWU's!! I hope u are well 😀

How long have you been doing nap at 12.30? Im just wondering if it will take some time for it to kick in (the set nap and bt) ?

My dd is 18.5 months now she generally naps between 12 and 1pm depending on wu but i dont put down before 12, and a lot of the time it is 12 that she goes down (shes ready) so i think the routine you have sounds about right! Although she usually wakes up between 2 and 2.30 but i never let her sleep past 2.30 to preserve bedtime. She is generally in bed asleep by 7pm though. Do you think 7.30 may be a little too late? She then wakes up between 6 and 7am.

I hope u crack this one day lol poor you with all those early mornings! Sorry not much help just wanted to reassure really that your dd's routine seems about right for her age and possibly stick with it a little longer?

Xxxx
Jody
 xx

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 19:03:21 pm »
Hi Jodes, how are you? We are good thanks.

We've been on this routine for over 1 month. We were in Alberta 2 weeks ago and her set times were 10:30am nap and 6:00 BT but then we travelled to Ontario where thanks to a time difference her day became :nap 12:30 BT at 8:00. So I didn't change anything. In both provinces she started to get EWUs.
I'm afraid to move her day earlier because her WU is going to get even earlier.

Do you think her nap needs to be later?

P. S. Today she napped for 3hrs after 10hr night and I had her in the crib at 7:40pm but she fell asleep at 8:40pm. Morning WU was at 5:45am. That's a 9hr night.

As I said before when she was on 2 naps I used to wake her in hopes EWUs would disappear and she would sleep in the mornings. They never did. She ended up with capped naps and short nights and she was a mess because she didn't manage to catch up. So now I'm afraid to wake her from the nap and be in the same situation. At least she is catching up at nap time.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 11:54:13 am by AMJ »

Offline Jodes112

• You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 12:05:05 pm »
We are all really well thank you!

I think the set nap and bedtime are good times so keep them as they are. I do think though a few weeks if capping that nap at 2hrs might help 😁 i know u dont want to cos shes catching up but its just having a worse effect in the long run (just reinforcing those shorter nights) thats my opinion anyway! Sometimes DD will have a 2.5hr nap at grandma's but it totally messes up bedtime, or she will have a EW the next day. So we now always cap at 2hrs & ask grandma to wake at 2hrs too.x

Glad to hear you are well xx
Jody
 xx

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 12:13:44 pm »
I think I might give it another try. How do you wake from the nap? Do you go in the room and wake DD or do you open the door to her room and let her wake on her own? But it might take a while so the nap might actually be over 2hr.

Thanks

Offline Jodes112

• You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 12:28:08 pm »
I open the door and this sometimes stirs her, id then go and stoke her face and gently say macie.... Then let her come round. Then id open the blind slightly. She sometimes is a bit groggy for 10 mins after but usually she is fine. U can see how it goes i guess! Xx
Jody
 xx

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 13:27:37 pm »
Thanks, fingers crossed this won't make things worse

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 05:06:25 am »
I open the door and this sometimes stirs her, id then go and stoke her face and gently say macie.... Then let her come round. Then id open the blind slightly. She sometimes is a bit groggy for 10 mins after but usually she is fine. U can see how it goes i guess! Xx

We do the same. Fx it works out okay!
Heidi

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 12:12:07 pm »
Thanks Ladies.

For the past 2 days I didn't need to wake her from the nap because it was 1hr45m followed by a 10.5hr night and 2hrs long nap followed by a 1hr20m NWU and 6:15am WU (BT was 8:15pm). 

Agrrrrr I never thought that at her age we would be still dealing with these never ending EWUs and NWUs
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 12:14:20 pm by AMJ »

Offline Jodes112

• You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 12:55:35 pm »
The nights have increased a little though with those slightly shorter naps, right?

6.15am is not so bad of a wu time. What time has her naps been over the last 2 days? Have you tried putting to bed at 7ish rather than later. Wonder if she is OT by bedtime which is why shes takibg a while to fall asleep?
Xx
Jody
 xx

Offline Jodes112

• You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 12:57:02 pm »
Ps, was she upset in the NW or just awake?
Jody
 xx

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 00:08:01 am »
Yes one night was 10.5hrs. Her nap was at 12:30, I lay her in the crib at 12:15/20.
I'm afraid to do a 7pm BT unless I only do it once or twice otherwise it will become a regular BT and as before she will go back to earlier WU and we will shift back to 6 pm BT and 4am WU

No she wasn't upset at night. She WU crying "mama" but stoped right away and layed quietly and moved around. I went in to check up on her but she was ok.

For the past few days she had it rough. She broke her upper arm by falling from the bed(she only wears a sling during the day) and also has a bad cold. Her sleep problems have been ongoing so it's for sure not due to what's happening.