Author Topic: Cluster Feeding  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Beed

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 24, 2014, 10:54:17 am »
when should you stop doing this?

My DS is 9 weeks old and weighs 15lb.  He takes 6oz in each bottle and cluster feeds at 5.30 and 7.30 but wakes at 2am for a feed and the last two days has woken at 5.45am which knocks the whole day out of sync.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Cluster Feeding
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 18:40:04 pm »
Tracy suggested combining the cluster feeds into 1 by 8 weeks - are you doing a dreamfeed?

How many feeds is he having in 24 hours - are you on a 3 hour EASY?

Is he draining those 6oz bottles?

And lastly  :P have you tried resettling at 5.45 or do you just feed?

Laura

Offline Beed

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 20:22:15 pm »
Oh I see!  I was a bit confused!  So combine the two feeds into one at 6.30?  He does drink at least 5oz of both those cluster feeds and goes bonkers until he gets both of them!!!

We are on a 3 hour easy and he mainly drains his bottle of 6oz, always drinks at least 5oz.  So, normally 7 bottles (this is with both cluster feeds and a night feed) and we do try to dream feed but he doesn't take it very much.  Funnily enough sometimes when he doesn't take it he'll go all the way through until 4am!  Then he'll take a couple of ounces a different night and wake at 2am!!

Yes, tried settling him at 5.45 but to no avail and with 2 other little ones who have school I do feed him and he drinks the lot!

x

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Cluster Feeding
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 20:37:40 pm »
If he is draining bottles then add another oz to all his bottles. You could do the normal feed patter through the day and if the last feed falls a bit before sleep time top him off just before you put him down to sleep. If you are happy to continue the clusters then that's fine too!

The DF never worked for my two, so if he's better without it just let him wake when he's hungry. If he does need that 5.45 feed (sounds like it and I wouldn't risk waking the other 2 either!) then you can offer a smaller feed a little while before his first nap so he can get through that nap and then get back on track when he wakes from his first nap.

Laura