Author Topic: Transitioning from 3-4hr easy  (Read 998 times)

Offline kayra

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 60
  • 2 for 1!!
Transitioning from 3-4hr easy
« on: September 24, 2014, 18:42:41 pm »
So dd and ds are increasing their A times and we've been moving closer to a 4hr easy, but it's very inconsistent. We're probably closer to a 3.5 hr easy, basically my question is, do I decide that ok they're on a 3.5hr routine now, so even if they wake at the 3hr point I wait till it's been 3.5 hrs or should I go ahead and feed at 3? Throughout the day we seem to vary between 3, 3.5, 4 hrs and then generally just a couple hours from the 'last' feed to the bedtime bottle.
So is it ok to vary or should I try to stick to 3.5 hrs unless it seems that they're starving?

Also, should I be limiting day sleep at all? they're napping so nicely these days, it's lovely to have a calm bedtime rather than ot screaming! But they are so erratic about their nf's I'm wondering if it's related...to be honest ds has always been erratic with his nf's, but dd used to go from 7-8 bedtime till 5 but her day sleep was an absolute mess, now she's on a nice routine in the day but erratic at night... I guess it's not so unusual at this age but I think ds1 was taking a df and going thru the night around now so I cant help comparing :p df doesn't seem to work with these guys ::) they tend to have a total of about 5hrs day sleep on a good day.

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Transitioning from 3-4hr easy
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 11:45:15 am »
So is it ok to vary or should I try to stick to 3.5 hrs unless it seems that they're starving?
Whilst this is fine it is also ok for them to have the variability you mentioned ie 3hr, 3.5hr and 4hr.
Tracy did say that for some LOs it can take up to 6 months before they manage a 4hr E, if they were lower birth weight or early these are two of the reasons Tracy mentioned. Mine was not low birth weight or early and still couldn't do a 4hr E until he was 6 months (silent reflux here and although not under weight he was petite and just couldn't eat enough to keep him going 4 hrs until he had a solids meal between milk feeds).
I haven't really answered your question I know, but IMO you are are on the right tracks and in a sense the two options are almost the same. On 3.5hr you would let them go 4 hr if they were napping when the 3.5 E time came up so naturally extending the E, and would also feed at 3hr if they were clearly hungry - so really that's the same as the variable 3,3.5, 4hr - see what I mean?

Is it just the time of the NFs that are erratic? Are you feeding them both at the same time?

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 17:40:45 pm »
Thanks creations. I suppose I'll just continue with this then, like you said when solids enter the picture. I think sometimes they could manage waiting for a feed but if they short napped stretching them out would mess the easy too much.
No we feed them whenever they get up at night (dh is in charge of dd I of ds). It's mostly the times that are erratic, dd can get up at 12 or 1 or 3 or now more rarely 5, like I said that used to be the norm. If she's fed early she generally doesn't need a second feed but can start stirring off and on around 6.
Ds woke at 11:30 last night which I wasn't impressed with as he'd had a huge bt feed, so he often wants to eat 12/1ish and then will fuss again after 5. I'm starting to wonder if that 5:30 one is becoming habitual, at that nw I don't give another bottle, just nurse (I don't have much milk left) and he settles back for another hour or so.
They generally take an average feed, last night strangely neither of them finished the bottle.

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline creations

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 06:48:24 am »
Could be the 4 months growth spurt causing the night feeds to be erratic. What do you think?

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 09:57:42 am »
Could be, ds has never been too consistent but it is a bit extra now, then last night he didn't wake for a feed at all!!! Woke a couple times as he'd rolled but immediately settle back when I turned him over!!! Who knows what he'll do tonight.
They both short napped this am so it was barely even a 3hr easy ::)

Angel, April 2011

Offline creations

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 17:46:36 pm »
If they short nap I'd still wait the 3hrs to E, or stretch them as far as they'll go towards it.  I know it throws the day off a bit but otherwise they might not take a decent enough feed and be hungry again before the next feed is due.
No NF sounds like bliss hey? :)

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 18:51:29 pm »
Indeed but i darent hope thats the way its going to be from now on ;)
Strangely ds ate more after that morning 3hr easy than he did 4 hrs later after a long nap ::)

Angel, April 2011