Author Topic: Stunted growth due to cutting NF?  (Read 9179 times)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Stunted growth due to cutting NF?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 18:36:12 pm »
I don't have any experience with the pacifier sorry - my DS completely rejected it. I don't think it's a problem at this age though, even if he is dependent on it? I'm sure others will chip in here.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 19:39:16 pm »
Well bm is definitely easier to digest...but for sure satisfying!! Here I think water is recommended for over 6 months and not before. Having a lot of water would fill a lo up and then they won't have room for the milk they need. Are you bf or ff (or both?).

With the nw's does he wake quite soon after a paci replug? He may be hungry with a growth spurt.
Heidi

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 20:53:05 pm »
Honestly being a Researcher who has worked with Statistics for over 20years... looking at the growth of a 5mo, is like saying "the team are going to win the Premiership" after the 2nd round of games. There isn't a statistically relevant enough pool of data in a child under 2yo.

I do notice even in my children now that they get chubbier & then leaner & they grow out of clothes

I do think you are absolutely causing yourself too much worry. As a PP said the UK (& I know it is the same in Australia) weight is the only real indicator of growth until they are actually "weight baring"

There are SO SO many things to worry about with a child, if they are gaining weight & having plenty of wet & soiled nappies & they are developing then really I'd not be concerned about stunted growth. Height will come later.

My DS1 is 11yo & he is tall, but then DH & I are tall, That said DH was always short until he was 15yo & grew nearly a foot in a year. We know some 14yo twins, their Dad is tall, the Mum average, they have been quite shortish until now & suddenly one has shot up & is considerably taller than his twin & they are identical twins & that is normal.

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline ideazec

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 15:29:53 pm »
I don't have any experience with the pacifier sorry - my DS completely rejected it. I don't think it's a problem at this age though, even if he is dependent on it? I'm sure others will chip in here.

Hi MJ,

That's great! No pacifier means one less of a problem to fix hahahah..

I read that weaning it off is easier before 5 months. The older they get, the tougher to wean. I can get baby to lie on his bed for naps and bedtime, but once he's tired and ready for sleep, he'd start whining and would escalate to crying.

All these happens with his eyes closed.

At this point, if I pop the paci, he's off to lala land in a min.

I guess we at lacking in this final soothing skill to transition to sleep.

Offline ideazec

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 15:43:22 pm »
Well bm is definitely easier to digest...but for sure satisfying!! Here I think water is recommended for over 6 months and not before. Having a lot of water would fill a lo up and then they won't have room for the milk they need. Are you bf or ff (or both?).

With the nw's does he wake quite soon after a paci replug? He may be hungry with a growth spurt.

Hi Heidi,

I'm on total bf but I'm pumping to feed. Little guy doesn't know how to latch anymore.

Well usually when we put him to bed at night, say if he sleeps at 830, he would wake at 930 or earlier. If we replug him, he'd sleep till the df at 11.
After which, it's an irregular wake between 12-2am (if this happens).
But 90% of the time he would wake at 3ish, then wake at 630 or so.

I'm guessing the 3am waking is out habit. I've tried WTS but failing terribly, always ends up waking him.

TBH, I'm quite vexed about his sleep issues.

Have you used PU/PD with success?

Offline ideazec

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 15:49:11 pm »
Honestly being a Researcher who has worked with Statistics for over 20years... looking at the growth of a 5mo, is like saying "the team are going to win the Premiership" after the 2nd round of games. There isn't a statistically relevant enough pool of data in a child under 2yo.

I do notice even in my children now that they get chubbier & then leaner & they grow out of clothes

I do think you are absolutely causing yourself too much worry. As a PP said the UK (& I know it is the same in Australia) weight is the only real indicator of growth until they are actually "weight baring"

There are SO SO many things to worry about with a child, if they are gaining weight & having plenty of wet & soiled nappies & they are developing then really I'd not be concerned about stunted growth. Height will come later.

My DS1 is 11yo & he is tall, but then DH & I are tall, That said DH was always short until he was 15yo & grew nearly a foot in a year. We know some 14yo twins, their Dad is tall, the Mum average, they have been quite shortish until now & suddenly one has shot up & is considerably taller than his twin & they are identical twins & that is normal.

Hi Kate,

Thanks a lot. This really helps to ease my worries.

Being a FTM has so much to learn! Of cos EASY has helped me so much already.
I am now looking into the sleep department.

It seems to be a puzzle now as I'm always asking myself ... If he's waking for the paci or he woke and the paci helped him back to sleep. Lol...

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 17:31:49 pm »
I have never used pu/pd! Mine were all so spiriter I knew it would not be effective. Have you tried teaching him to replug the paci in the day? We did that and put about 10 soothers in the crib (glow in dark ones) so she could self serve. Once we did that her nw's were down to hunger/teeth/developmental stuff.

What does his day look like in EAS format? Might be needing a tweak there.
Heidi

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2014, 21:16:25 pm »
After DS1, we weaned DS2 off a Paci at 5mo, I put a few items I thought he might use for soothing in the cot (DS1 had a Paci & a small piece of smooth cloth) & DS2 evidently had the need to suck because he soothed by sucking the arms of the soft toy bear (ended up buying 8 from Ikea for him) & even though he could easily find them in the night, he still wasn't a great sleeper & it took until he was 4yo for me to work out part of it was his low sleep needs... at 9yo he sleeps less than 9 hours a night.  So while taking the Paci away may help I think sometimes it is the need to suck that is part of the issue, so it doesn't solve it... I sucked my fingers as a baby & my DH his thumb & neither of us stopped until 5+yo & so I'm guessing that played a part in my boys wanting to suck.

I can get baby to lie on his bed for naps and bedtime, but once he's tired and ready for sleep, he'd start whining and would escalate to crying.

How long from when you put him in does he start whining? It's been a while, but it sounds like he has trouble with that last step in relaxing, I did this with the boys when they were older & standing up was a problem & it helped them settle, but may work with a 5mo. I'd stroke  just above their head from their hair down to nose, not actually touching, but enough to get them to shut their eyes as my hand slowly moved over the eye area & helped them get more relaxed.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Mama2Athena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 18:11:36 pm »
Hi- my DS was BF until 5 months old and started out tiny (25% for both weight and height) but then shot up to 75% for both by 1 month old.  Doctor joked that I had good milk, LOL.  Anyway, around 4/5 months, his height gradually tapered off to 50%, then 25% while still maintaining 75% for weight.  I was worried but the doctor assured me it's genetics - makes sense since both my DH and I are roughly 25% for height.  My DS is now 8 yo and is still in the 25% for height, but around 50% for weight (stocky build).

Offline ideazec

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 16:17:41 pm »
I have never used pu/pd! Mine were all so spiriter I knew it would not be effective. Have you tried teaching him to replug the paci in the day? We did that and put about 10 soothers in the crib (glow in dark ones) so she could self serve. Once we did that her nw's were down to hunger/teeth/developmental stuff.

What does his day look like in EAS format? Might be needing a tweak there.

Thanks for helping to take a look at his schedule:

E - 7am ( but he usually wakes between 630-7)
S - 8.20~ 8.45 ( he falls asleep around this time)
E - 10.15
S - 11.45 ~ 12pm
E - 1.15
S - 2.30 ~ 2.45
E - 4.15
S - 5. 30 ~ 5.45
E - 7.15
S - 8.30 ~ 9 ( he usually wakes 9.30 or 10. Give him a paci,he sleeps again)
DF - 10~11pm

Please note that all naps he will wake up anytime from 30 mins to 45 min into the nap.
Night wakings are irregular timings like sometimes 2am, sometimes 3am. Minimum
Waking per night is 1, maximum can sometimes go to 4 times.

We are in the midst of transitioning to the 4hr EASY.
I read that for bf baby it's tough to do a 4 hr EASY?

Thanks for guiding me along ...

Offline ideazec

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 16:25:27 pm »
After DS1, we weaned DS2 off a Paci at 5mo, I put a few items I thought he might use for soothing in the cot (DS1 had a Paci & a small piece of smooth cloth) & DS2 evidently had the need to suck because he soothed by sucking the arms of the soft toy bear (ended up buying 8 from Ikea for him) & even though he could easily find them in the night, he still wasn't a great sleeper & it took until he was 4yo for me to work out part of it was his low sleep needs... at 9yo he sleeps less than 9 hours a night.  So while taking the Paci away may help I think sometimes it is the need to suck that is part of the issue, so it doesn't solve it... I sucked my fingers as a baby & my DH his thumb & neither of us stopped until 5+yo & so I'm guessing that played a part in my boys wanting to suck.

I can get baby to lie on his bed for naps and bedtime, but once he's tired and ready for sleep, he'd start whining and would escalate to crying.

How long from when you put him in does he start whining? It's been a while, but it sounds like he has trouble with that last step in relaxing, I did this with the boys when they were older & standing up was a problem & it helped them settle, but may work with a 5mo. I'd stroke  just above their head from their hair down to nose, not actually touching, but enough to get them to shut their eyes as my hand slowly moved over the eye area & helped them get more relaxed.

Hi Kate,

Thanks for sharing! Does the need to suck start from birth or does it change along the months?
As my baby didn't really need to suck in his earlier months but at 5 months now, he puts everything in his mouth and sucks/ licks them.

When we put him down his bed, he starts whining/ crying when he's tired. That depends if he's tired to start with, so it varies. But I would think on average it takes 10-20min.

Offline ideazec

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 16:27:59 pm »
Hi- my DS was BF until 5 months old and started out tiny (25% for both weight and height) but then shot up to 75% for both by 1 month old.  Doctor joked that I had good milk, LOL.  Anyway, around 4/5 months, his height gradually tapered off to 50%, then 25% while still maintaining 75% for weight.  I was worried but the doctor assured me it's genetics - makes sense since both my DH and I are roughly 25% for height.  My DS is now 8 yo and is still in the 25% for height, but around 50% for weight (stocky build).

Hi Mama,

Thanks for sharing. How do you get the percentile heights for adults?

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 16:59:40 pm »
I wonder if the new interest in sucking/licking might be down to teething starting?

As for routine, by this age most babies are on 2 naps and a catnap and heading towards dropping the catnap at 6 months or so. The following link shows A times by age, so the range for 5 months to 6 months can be up to 2.5/3 hrs. He could probably use a bump in A time which would hopefully get a bit longer naps.

Head banging while trying to fall asleep in crib
Heidi

Offline ideazec

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2014, 14:21:24 pm »
I wonder if the new interest in sucking/licking might be down to teething starting?

As for routine, by this age most babies are on 2 naps and a catnap and heading towards dropping the catnap at 6 months or so. The following link shows A times by age, so the range for 5 months to 6 months can be up to 2.5/3 hrs. He could probably use a bump in A time which would hopefully get a bit longer naps.

Head banging while trying to fall asleep in crib

Hi Heidi,

I have no idea! I haven't seen any teeth popping out but he's drooling, chewing, licking so much.
I'm a FTM so I can only make guesses... Not sure what to expect.

The link you posted was about head banging though lol.. Didn't seem to see the A times info.

These past few days was horrible. He could skip his 4pm catnap and last till 9 or 10pm before he falls asleep. No matter what we do, he just doesn't want to sleep!
I don't understand why... 

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2014, 19:07:59 pm »
Lol...must have picked the wrong link off my clipboard!

Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

Usually the bottom teeth come first - sometimes you can see the white lines in the gums.

Heidi