Author Topic: When to drop a meal?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline afranklin

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
When to drop a meal?
« on: September 30, 2014, 02:10:10 am »
Hi friends,
My 22 mo pretty much refused dinner tonight, and now I don't know if he wakes up tonight if I should feed him or not, or if it's 'just' OT. I don't know what happened... there was a bit of grazing at the grocery store (4 small rice crackers) between post-nap snack (larger than usu. but still snack-size I think, and at 3:30 or so) and dinner (5:45+ lengthy attempt and healthy nutritious alternatives offered).

I see some of the 'What does your toddlers day look like' only do 3 meals per day (no snacks) at this age and some do 5 (incl. 2 snacks). How do I know when to drop a snack? Is this my clue? (He's also shown less interest in breakfast lately) Is it 'safe' to not feed him tonight no matter what? (Unless he goes ballistic and won't even attempt to settle or something?)

My LO is starting to get 'terrible' two ish and I just want to be careful not to AP this stuff... don't want him to think that if he refuses dinner he gets crackers, or gets fed later, etc.

Thank you!
Amanda
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 02:11:57 am by afranklin »

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: When to drop a meal?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 03:23:11 am »
Personally I would not offer food for a nw, maybe some water but that is it. I think of it similar to myself - some days I might eat a bit less but overall it is not causing me massive hunger in the night. We do 3 meals & 2 snacks plus two sippy cups of milk and as lng as they are spread out it works okay. Could teeth be an issue?

(Oh and tbh 4 rice crackers would be more than enough to throw off supper here! Their tummy is roughly the size of their fist so not a lot of space).
Heidi

Offline afranklin

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 03:45:49 am »
Hi MasynSpencerElliotte,
Thank you!! That helps. Sometimes he eats as much as I would for a small meal, so I forget he is of course, much smaller than me.
He is gnawing on his fingers and drooling, all teeth but the 2 year are in. I need to feel around in there, but I keep forgetting. Totally possible!
Amanda

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 21:06:38 pm »
Hi agree with Heidi not to offer a snack at night with a nearly 2 year old! Olly has a good appetite but even he has days when he is just not as hungry. He may well wake up early but hopefully not a NW for you x

Offline afranklin

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 17:27:59 pm »
He didn't wake up hungry, so now I know he can do it even when I think he hasn't eaten enough. :)