Author Topic: Do you allow LO to eat whatever they fancy when sick?  (Read 1646 times)

Offline lolsyb1982

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
Do you allow LO to eat whatever they fancy when sick?
« on: October 07, 2014, 07:05:29 am »
DD has a cold and chest infection with a nasty cough. She doesn't have much appetite. Didn't touch breakfast or lunch yesterday but did eat a fair sized dinner.

BUT she knows where the treats are kept and will happily eat biscuits or cake etc! Do you just let them have anything they fancy when sick as long as they're eating something or not allow them to eat the naughty things if they won't eat proper meals?

I am trying healthy snacks too and she did manage a few raisins and half a banana.

Doesn't want breakfast again this morning but saw DH eating a fig roll biscuit and happily eat that (whilst coughing and spluttering)

Lauren

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Do you allow LO to eat whatever they fancy when sick?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 07:47:34 am »
I'd probably offer a selection of things at meal/snack times rather than let her graze. Her body knows what it needs but it's good to keep in the habit of regular meals and snacks. Maybe small portions of everything, including the biscuits etc?

When DS was recovering from tummy bugs and would hardly eat anything at all I let him exist on Jaffa cakes for 24hrs or so - did no harm and they were the only thing staying in!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 09:04:44 am »
Lauren my boys both are like this. One is a rubbish eater anyway but the other usually eats so well. I tend to go with it a little. Offer the meals first and if rejected offer a snack a little later - usually it's the sweet stuff they want because they can taste it and it's easy to get down.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 09:55:52 am »
And sometimes because they're sick they sort of need the sugar, for a bit of a boost.  Yes, I'd keep it reasonable but wouldn't fight it too hard.  My LO1 wanted only toast and jam when he was sick one time, so that's what he got, oh and ice cream! I also offered apple slices, raisins etc.  Hard with colds because you want to steer away from dairy!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 16:52:56 pm »
Better day today, eat some lunch and dinner.

Now sleep... That's a different story.. Or another thread  :P
Lauren