Author Topic: How to best stop  (Read 1059 times)

Offline 1sttimemamma

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« on: October 14, 2014, 07:27:58 am »
Hi! My 11 month old breastfeeds about 4 to 5 times a day and usually one feed at around 4am. He eats 3 meals a day.

For my sanity, I'd like to stop breastfeeding so much at around 12 months. Maybe even all together.

I think he's going to really insist on it sometimes. For example, if I leave the house to do errands, when I return, he starts crying for me and when I pick him up, he nestles his head down toward my boobs and cries until I feed him. It's pretty cute -but not something I am going to do much longer. He does it even if it's been only an hour or two since I last fed him. So it's a comfort thing.

Do some people cut the night feeds first? Or should I keep that and cut the day time ones?

We aren't really a dairy drinking family. I'd like to give him an alternative milk (hemp, coconut, etc), but how do I make sure he has enough calcium? Right now he doesn't do any cheese or yogurt because he's already had one ear infection and I'm wanting to get thru the winter without more and my naturopath said to not give him any. I forgot to ask her about calcium though.

Thanks - I think that's all my thoughts/questions for now.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
Re: How to best stop
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 10:10:19 am »
Hi there,

From 12 mos, nutritionally, LOs only need about two milk feeds per day (which could be bf or cows milk, for example.  Afraid I don't know about other sorts). So it would be perfectly ok for you to drop a few Bfs from that PoV.  Lots of ppl just give milk in the morning and at bedtime from 12 mos.

Re calcium, there are lots of other foods besides dairy that are high in calcium, eg broccoli, beans, sardines, some nuts...  LOs don't necessarily need to get their calcium requirements from dairy.

There is a list of foods high in calcium here:
http://www.iofbonehealth.org/calcium-rich-foods

I'd drop the feeds one by one to avoid engorgement, and this would be gentler on your LO too.  really, it's up to you which you tackle first (eg the NFs or a daytime one).

Since your LO seems to really enjoy the comfort aspect of the bf, I'd try to make sure you get in lots of other opportunities to cuddle so that perhaps he needs the comfort less.  Also, if it's a daytime feed you're trying to drop, if/when he asks for it, you could offer a drink of water and a healthy snack instead, perhaps whilst cuddling on your lap, looking at a book, for example.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 05:53:08 am by cathn »
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 21:05:53 pm »
Also check out our FAQ on weaning which outlines the various methods you might like to consider Weaning
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline 1stimer

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 00:54:23 am »
I drink unsweetened vanilla almond milk and I believe it has more calcium than dairy milk and DD loves it!!! We were a very big dairy family but cut most out dt ds nursing and not tolerating it and I was afraid to cut milk from dd and the almond milk has been an amazing switch, we may not ever go back :)

[/url]