Author Topic: Need some hand holding  (Read 1301 times)

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Need some hand holding
« on: October 14, 2014, 14:22:31 pm »
I posted recently about my 4.5mo LO being very fussy at the breast at the last feed before bed. We are going through a wonder week right now & that was storm cloud time. Since then, as *Ali* pointed out, she has gotten faster at nursing. This is a bit shocking to me since we have always had marathon nursing sessions. I mean, 30 minutes was quick was her just two weeks ago!

Her diaper output is good. The thing is, she seems to just latch on, get a letdown, drink well for some time after & give up on that breast & want to move on to the other. If the other doesn't let down fast enough, she's done. Is this normal? We are on a 4 hour EASY, so to ease my mind mainly, and to ensure my supply stays okay, I am offering twice per awake time. But I think I'm messing up. Please tell me your opinions..
Our day is
Between 7 & 9 - 2 feeds
Between 10.30 & 12.30 - 2 feeds (we get a 45 minute nap here only)
Between 2 & 4 - 2 feeds
The last few days, she has been having trouble going down for the catnap/ staying asleep for more than 20 minutes, so 1 feed to sleep here
Between 5.30 & 6- feed - then bath/ massage
6.30 - feed right before bed

The problem is with this last feed before bed. I split the last feed around bath and she used to eat great! Then the fussing started, and it got harder complete that feed or put her to sleep as she was hungry! Now that she has gotten more efficient, I thought it is fine if she doesn't EAT, she may just want that comfort. But today, was so weird. She wasn't even trying!She wouldn't suck, just kept crying! It seemed like she wanted the letdown without putting in any effort!  So I pumped till I got a letdown & then gave her. She pulled away fussing & crying :S Then I had to nurse walking around. She still was barely sucking & didn't get a single letdown!If I unlatched her, she would cry. Finally, I just let her hang around for nearly half an hour more and then put her to bed.

What is happening? Am i offering too often? If she is too tired/ full to eat, why won't she let me put her to sleep or do something else like cuddles/book time? If she just wants the comfort, why won't she nurse? Arghhh, need her to start speaking soon because I am so very confused! What am I doing wrong?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Need some hand holding
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 03:46:16 am »
Are your days about 12 hours or so? If so feeding 8 times in that span is alot (works out to a feed every 1.5 hrs). Are you doing full feeds pr trying for top ups before naps? We did do EAEAS at that age but the second E in each A time was a very short top up. She may be ready to stop the cluster feed before bed as well, we went to doing just one feed then at around that age.
Heidi

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 04:38:36 am »
Yes, I aim for a 12 hour day. We used to do one feed per A time since it took so long anyway and it was 6 feeds a day. Now it is exactly as you say - 1 proper (ish) 1 short. This whole short feed is so alien to me. I can't believe that she is actually done eating so fast now. So how should I go about it? Feed only before bed? Or nurse - bath - bed? It is difficult to experiment with things with this baby.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 06:37:43 am »
I would try nursing after the bath so it helps her sleep rather than you then waking her up more to bath.

Have you tried offering her the first breast again when she is done with the second side? They can get some extra high fat hindmilk that way.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 08:30:12 am »
yes I do offer it again. Okay, today I will do E - walk-bath/massage- E. Or maybe it is the walk that's too tiring? Have any of you'll experienced this?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 12:11:35 pm »
Any progress?
We always just bed are the bath right before bed. Tracy always said that was the one part of the day when it was ok to feed right before sleep.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 13:35:06 pm »
We always fed right before bed too, we did cluster in the early days but much further apart.
Heidi

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 13:52:52 pm »
I'm sticking with feeding before bed. Things have gotten slightly better. I am trying to avoid nursing twice in the feed before the catnap & also not nursing to sleep for the catnap. Then split around bath. I remember asking previously too, nursing around 6/7 times a day with a dreamfeed won't ruin my supply, right? So many naysayers about this.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 18:32:11 pm »
By this age your supply should be established and based on supply and demand.