Author Topic: Sleepy Newborn - 2 weeks- Waking to eat, etc.  (Read 974 times)

Offline echohush

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Sleepy Newborn - 2 weeks- Waking to eat, etc.
« on: October 16, 2014, 15:50:01 pm »
Hi everyone,

My new sweet DS is still a very sleepy newborn. He is two weeks today.  He was a bit jaundiced but did not require phototherapy. He was 8.2 lbs at birth and then quickly dropped 10%. He gained a little back in the first week and tomorrow we have a weight check.

At the hospital I was instructed to wake him every two to three hours to eat, which I have been doing. This got us to 11 and 12 feeds a day but now in the second week we are at 9, part of this is he really wants to sleep but also isn't hungry when I wake him- all the feeds have kind of led to an oversupply. This has created latch issues as I am too full and he is choking so now I am  I am pumping off 4 oz throughout the day.  Yesterday I failed to wake him twice after trying almost everything (diaper change, cool wash cloth, head/hand/feed rubbing), when I finally did get him to wake (DH and I gave him a bath) he ate ravenously at both breasts and seemed very satisfied.  He is doing a 4 hr stretch at night from 1am to 5am.

Today for example he ate great at 7:45 but then didn't want to eat again until noon. I got him to nipple at the breast for 5 min at 10:45.

Thanks for any advice!
Branwen

Just checking to see if this all sounds normal or if I should be more aggressive about feeding. 

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Sleepy Newborn - 2 weeks- Waking to eat, etc.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 20:06:26 pm »
I'd continue to wake him to feed at least every 3hrs if he hasn't woken and asked for one before then.

Also, check out these FAQs
Tips for Sleepy Newborns
Oversupply and Overactive (Forceful) Let-Down
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 20:09:10 pm by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011